Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Early Intervention?

My DC today took me aside to discuss DS's physical development. I was a bit taken aback because I did discuss with our pedi about our concerns revolving around DS not walking yet or at that point not coming to a sitting position from lying down. However, after our 12 month appt, DS started pulling himself up on furniture, sitting from a lying down position and cruising just like a switch was turned on. 

DS is still comfortable rolling all over the place (lot of ppl. find that hysterical) or crawling compared to cruising or other acitivities.

I am going to contact EI but was wondering if anyone had similar experiences with their 13-14 month olds not walking or sitting up very often. Our pedi did mention that DS NEVER sitting up vs, not interested in sitting up even though he knows how to are two different things.

Anyone have experience with EI, what is the process involved and what was your experience with your child's developmental delays? TIA 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Early Intervention?

• LO has been in early intervention and it has def been a positive thing for us. He has made great progress (though still delayed.)  In the beginning the EI evaluator came to our home and evaluated him in all areas (fine motor, gross motor, cognitive, social, language.) From the results of the eval and parental concerns they wrote referrals for OT, OT, and Speech. The individual therapists came to our home and evaluated LO. From their evaluations and recommendations we started therapy.  Each state has their own criteria for eligibility (ie- a certain percentage of delay, or delay in more than one area.)  Also, each state has their own policy on payment for services.  Our state does not require a parent to pay for necessary and recommended therapy.  Some states to require parents to pay some of the therapy.  EI is supposed to be in the natural environment- and for our kiddos age this is home or daycare. If a provider is not available in the natural environment you may have to take your LO to therapy.  Our LO gets EI special instruction, OT, and Speech Lang/Feeding therapy in the home and PT in a ped rehab center. Let me know if you have any specific questions!  GL! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I posted something similar last night. My daughter is 12 months and isn't cruising at all. From what everyone said yesterday was don't worry yet. If your LO is making progress I wouldn't worry to much yet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We are in the EI process and our experience has been good so far.  DD isn't walking yet, but we aren't concerned about her motor skills.  We were mainly concerned with her progress on speech.

Last week our services coordinator came out and assessed DD.  We found out she is at the 6-month level for her communication and self-help areas.  She is at the 5-month level for the social emotional area.  Tomorrow we are getting a formal evaluation with a speech-language pathologist and an occupational therapist.

I believe the evaluation process is free in all states.  It doesn't hurt to get your kid evaluated.  If there is a developmental delay, you can get help early.  And if your kid is fine, then you'll have peace of mind.

• When we took DD to her 9-month appointment, she wasn't crawling or getting to a sitting position from laying down.  She could sit if we sat her up but would just fall over randomly.  She was rolling all over the place but our pediatrician didn't feel that was enough considering the not getting to sitting and falling over.  She said to call her if nothing changed after one more month.  Nothing changed and we got a referral for a eval for EI.  After the eval, the therapist said that DD's tummy muscles were weak and that was the reason for her not crawling (getting into a crawling position from sitting) and just falling over when she would sit on the floor.  We started therapy the very next week.  She just "graduated" the first week of August.  She went from literally JUST rolling around to getting to sitting, then army crawling, then on all fours crawling, then cruising, and finallly walking in about 4 months.  I'm sure she would have gotten there on her own eventually but I'm so happy we took her early. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My oldest was in EI for a speech delay.  While he started talking at 6 months, he stopped completely around 13 months-18 months and as we were pushing two he only had about 10 words.  After 3 months he had a hundred or so words and after 6 months his evaluation put him at a 5 year old level.

In regards to not getting into a sitting position from laying down.  Mine couldn't do that until he was 18 months old and he crawled at 6 months, walked at 9 months but he could not or didn't care too (who knows) get into a sitting position on his own for ages.  I was getting really concerned and then bam, all of sudden one day he did it.  I don't think your DS is that far off the mark but the program is wonderful so if you want to really know then schedule an evaluation.

• Thanks for your responses folks. I am just beginning to worry after reading up stuff on internet. Specifically came across a study about Autism where they say there are subtle signs from infancy onwards especially where motor skills are delayed or are awkward..such as falling down as a plop without raising hands (my DS does that..he falls suddenly and doesn't look like he flails his arms when he falls), rolling over awkwardly and some more weird motor movements. 

I am calling EI today and see what they have to say. Thanks again!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMrs.Greg:
    When we took DD to her 9-month appointment, she wasn't crawling or getting to a sitting position from laying down.  She could sit if we sat her up but would just fall over randomly.  She was rolling all over the place but our pediatrician didn't feel that was enough considering the not getting to sitting and falling over.  She said to call her if nothing changed after one more month.  Nothing changed and we got a referral for a eval for EI.  After the eval, the therapist said that DD's tummy muscles were weak and that was the reason for her not crawling (getting into a crawling position from sitting) and just falling over when she would sit on the floor.  We started therapy the very next week.  She just "graduated" the first week of August.  She went from literally JUST rolling around to getting to sitting, then army crawling, then on all fours crawling, then cruising, and finallly walking in about 4 months.  I'm sure she would have gotten there on her own eventually but I'm so happy we took her early. 

This is almost the exact same experience we have had with EI.  Except it took my one son 6 months to walk and my other is still working on it (They were both only rolling at 10 months) 

Working with EI has been a very positive experience for us and they have taught me so much on how to work/play with my children.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"