Parenting
Options

Q for teachers or HR people

When you have a baby, you automatically get the 12 weeks of FMLA leave, right?

If you have a baby in May, do you get May and June off, then Sept too? Or is the summer counted as part of that 12 weeks?

Thanks

DD1 12.18.06 DD2 9.18.08 DD3 EDD 5.10.2012 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Q for teachers or HR people

• Options
    provided you've been with your employer for at least 1 year, yes-you automatically get the 12 weeks.  Just make sure you give HR the heads up b/c there is paperwork they have to do!  The 12 weeks start whenever you go out-but I know you're a teacher so I'm not sure how it works with summer vacations. 
    Nathan 7-13-06 ~ Elizabeth 4-12-09 ~ Zachary 8-5-11
  • Options
    What Time Off Counts as Leave? Schools, like other employers, can only count leave time as FMLA leave when the employee would be otherwise working. For example, teachers typically are not required to work during the spring, summer, and winter breaks. Thus, if the employee took FMLA leave before one of these breaks, the period of the break does not count as FMLA leave weeks for that employee. Example: Teacher takes FMLA commencing December 1. Winter break runs from December 19 to January 3. This period of December 19 through January 3 does not count as FMLA leave for the teacher.
    Michelle Mommy to Kayleigh, Audrey and Faith. image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would definitely check with HR, but I believe where I used to teach if your 12 weeks started before the school year ends, you can't pick back up in September.   I am not 100% sure though. 

ETA what marchmamma posted sounds right, but I remember our SLP having a problem b/c of when the new contractual year begins. I know she had to "pay-in" to her benefits.  That is why I was thinking the way I was thinking.
  • Options
    REOMREOM member

Thanks Michelle, that's what I wanted to hear! Where did you get that info?

Amy I know I should just ask HR but I work in a one school district, and everyone talks. Don't want to hear the whispers "Is she pregnant?!" b/c I'm not!

DD1 12.18.06 DD2 9.18.08 DD3 EDD 5.10.2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It was from our handbook, which was copied from some lawyer (that section anyway)
    Michelle Mommy to Kayleigh, Audrey and Faith. image
  • Options
    In my district, your 12 weeks started right when you had the baby and it didn't matter if it crossed over vacations or summer.  We were able to use or sick bank and get paid for the first 8 weeks.  However, if some of that time crossed over vacation, we weren't paid but the clock kept ticking.  I had my DD in November and I was screwed because of winter break so I didn't get paid that week.  People who have babies in June really get screwed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"