2nd Trimester

I need more headache relief suggestions

The nurse (who I have never gotten along with, it's a good thing I love my OB so much) won't give me (or suggest) anything stronger then tylenol even though I've had this pounding headache for over 48 hours. I considered calling the on call OB but I don't really feel it's a good reason to bother an on call OB. kwim?

Here's what I've tried:

Tylenol

Caffine (NOT diet pop, since read somewhere the sugar can help)

Laying down in the dark (but honestly with a 1 1/2 yo that's pretty hard)

Cold washcloth on my head and back of neck

Dh massaging my neck and shoulder

Limited screen time today 

A little fresh air

Any other suggestions? God I'd give my left arm to be able to take some Ibu..... 

Re: I need more headache relief suggestions

• There is a pressure point in your hand, between your thumb and pointer finger, I'll post a link with a picture...my aunt is a massage therapist and taught me this when I was little and had migraines it still works now.

https://www.ehow.com/how_4449992_pressure-points-cure-headaches.html

I asked her and she said they are perfectly safe during pregnancy, just avoid the foot one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I saw someone else suggest Excedrin Tension, but I haven't tried that yet.  Maybe you could also look into Excedrin migraine.

I would use an icepack instead of just a washcloth, might work better. 

There are some essential oils that you can rub on your temples, but I'm sorry, I'm not sure what scents you're supposed to use.  I'm assuming you don't have a big stash of those on hand, so maybe a trip to Whole Foods tomorrow if it's not better?

That's all I can think of.  I'm so sorry.  I'm getting bad headaches too but none of them have lasted that long.  I'm feeling bad for you.  I hope you feel better soon.

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • Loading the player...
  • Let me know if you find anything - I too have been suffering the last 48 hours, although I believe mine might be allergy related b/c it feels like it's in my left sinus - pain around my left eye orbital bones and over to my left temple...I take allergy meds as it is, but it's not helping the headache.
  • imageRileyGrace:

I saw someone else suggest Excedrin Tension, but I haven't tried that yet.  Maybe you could also look into Excedrin migraine.

I would use an icepack instead of just a washcloth, might work better. 

There are some essential oils that you can rub on your temples, but I'm sorry, I'm not sure what scents you're supposed to use.  I'm assuming you don't have a big stash of those on hand, so maybe a trip to Whole Foods tomorrow if it's not better?

That's all I can think of.  I'm so sorry.  I'm getting bad headaches too but none of them have lasted that long.  I'm feeling bad for you.  I hope you feel better soon.

eucalyptus, orange oil or..peppermint oils too I believe can help.

• I had a headache for 2 days that finally just went away yesterday.  Surprisingly my cure was going to McD's and getting a medium carmel frappe.  I couldn't believe it actually did the trick. 

Also, I would use ice instead of a wash cloth.  Put it behind your head on the pillow, on top of your head, or your forehead.

ANDREA
  • Thank you so much ladies, it means so much to me to see new suggestions. Between this and the stupid m/s I could just cry.
  • I would call your OB- for sure!  Don't let the nurse discourage you.  I was having headaches in the 1st tri and my OB wrote me a script for a drug.  Luckily, I never had to fill it, but I never had a headache for 2 days either!  Just call her and get it just in case you need it again.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There is a pregnancy safe headache med call firoricet (sp?), I was given it before my BFP and it was a life saver.
  • Sudafed and a heating pad on the neck/back of head (or wherever the pain is located) have helped me in addition to a little Coke Classic and Tylenol.

Also, a warm shower sometimes help muscles loosen up as well as any junk that is in the sinuses.

• Sudafed and a heating pad on the neck/back of head (or wherever the pain is located) have helped me in addition to a little Coke Classic and Tylenol.

Also, a warm shower sometimes help muscles/tension loosen up as well as any junk that is in the sinuses.

• I get migraines atleast 2-3 times per week. Tylenol doesn't help me but if I just sit in the shower and let the hot water hit my back/neck it helps. If I need more I will put an icepack on the back of my neck and a hot rice pack on my forehead/eyes. That usually always does the trick. Hope you start feeling better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You didn't mention if they are tension headaches or sinus. I have been getting tension for years die to computer based occupation and the way I lay on the couch or in bed reading. Since being prego I now also get sinus. Woohoo! I found taking a Tylenol(since it's all they let me have right now) then I have one of those face/eye mask things you keep in the fridge and put it on lay down and wait For tension again with the Tylenol and if you can afford it get a real massage by a prenatal certified and tell her your issue. If not an option. Ha e your Dh rub like he's been then heat in microwave a hand towl then fold lengthwise and roll it up then lay without a pillow with towl at the base of your head on your neck. And wait another preventive thing I read and has worked great for me is to take an extra prenatal vitamin. I know odd right but since doing it I get less headaches and when I do they are only like a day hope this helps some cause I totally feel your pain
  • i know allergies are kicking in right about now, have you ever tried a Netti pot? It's a little watering can/tea pot looking thing that you mix with this saline solution and pour into your nostrils.  Gross and wierd sounding, but it cleans out your sinuses and the saline moisturizes the dryness inside.  It helped my sinus headache.    Oh, and drink more water, you might be dehydrated.
  • My MFM told me that I could take Tylenol Sinus.  I was having horrible migraines and they wanted me to try that route before they gave me anything more potent.  It worked enough to take the edge off the migraine so that it was bearable. Hope you get some relief soon!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"