South Florida Babies

Thermometer??

Which thermometer do you use the under arm? forehead? or ear?? Which one is easier to you and more accurate?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Thermometer??

• I seriously have tried like 15 different thermometers. The only one that worked when he was that small was in the tushy. I know it sounds awful but with some lube I don't think they really feel it. I tried the forehead one and it was crap. Then we were in the ER with him one night after his tushy was reading at 103.6 and they used the forehead one on him and it said he was normal. The nurse said they don't work all that well...then she did it rectally and it came up at over 103. I was like why use it if it is BS? She said if a kid is in really bad condition like from an accident they start with that one. It still makes no sense.

If someone has one they love I would love to know :)

• I use the Braun ear one.  I've also tried a bunch.  When alexis was little, I used the rectal one a couple times, but I didn't like it.  I tried the temporal one but it doesn't seem accurate to me.  I'm sure it it, but I don't know.  With the ear one, I always check both ears, and you have to make sure  you do it right, hold the earlobe the way the directions tell you to so that you get an accurate reading. 
    image image

• Loading the player...
  • Everywhere I've read, the best are the rectal thermometers.  The ear ones aren't recommended.
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I read the reviews for the forehead and people say that you have to test it before using but they are mixed reviews and the ear one i heard for babies its harder i have heard the rectal but i feel bad having to check her there so many times ahh.

the baby has her first fever and i have the one under the arm but she moves so much i was going to get a new one and i have no clue which on to get.

THanks ladies

• We used the rectal one for the first year, but then she became aware of it and it was impossible to use. Now we use an ear one. It's not totally accurate, but if she feels really hot, we'll both hold her down and do the rectal just to double check it's not super high.
  • I've always used the rectal one...i'm anal like that.  I mean, I like to be as accurate as possible. ;)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imageMrsLeanna:
    I use the Braun ear one.  I've also tried a bunch.  When alexis was little, I used the rectal one a couple times, but I didn't like it.  I tried the temporal one but it doesn't seem accurate to me.  I'm sure it it, but I don't know.  With the ear one, I always check both ears, and you have to make sure  you do it right, hold the earlobe the way the directions tell you to so that you get an accurate reading. 

this!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecocojack10:
    Everywhere I've read, the best are the rectal thermometers.  The ear ones aren't recommended.

actually, ear ones are recommended for like 1 month olds, because of their accuracy.  But pediatricians use the ear thermometers on babies and newborns at every check up (at least all the drs in our practice do)

• If I remember correctly you're not supposed to rely on the reading of an ear one until they are 1+.
  • imageAlbah:
    I've always used the rectal one...i'm anal like that.  I mean, I like to be as accurate as possible. ;)

I <3 you, Laura!!!!!!

But ditto - we used the rectal one as long as possible, with a little vaseline on the tip. The ear one was good early on while Sophia was sleeping if I wanted to check her and not wake her up. Now we exclusively use the ear thermometer by Braun and have no problems with it. We always check both ears, sometimes multiple times, for accuracy.

• imageAlbah:
    I've always used the rectal one...i'm anal like that.  I mean, I like to be as accurate as possible. ;)
    Lol I have never used anything other than rectal with the boys, I have a super quick one (vicks one, it's looks like a circle thingy) so I have to pin them down, but it's all that really worked!
  • Our hospital gave us a cheap digital thermometer to use under the arm.  It was never high enough that I had to take a rectal temp.   

Our pedi office used an ear thermometer from day 4.

We bought a Braun ear thermometer to use at 6 months.  I think with the ear thermometers they now recommend to wait until at least 3 months so the ear canal is big enough.  Ask your pedi.

I love the ear thermometer, it only takes one second. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"