Trouble TTC

IUI #1 Question

Our 1st IUI is scheduled for this Friday morning. We are very excited and hopeful after seeing two great follies yesterday and today on U/S.

My question is --- Has your DH gone into the room during the insemination with you? To me, it feels like he should be there, but I don't know if he's going to be comfortable with the procedure. I think it would be a good way to make it a bit more "special". Does that make any sense? He has been so good about everything and goes with me to all my appts.

TIA for any thoughts or past experiences!

~Lindsey~
Annovulation/Amenorrhea/Mild Endo Scarring

10 Cycles with Femera/Bravelle, even Clomid 1x + Ovidrel + IUI + Crinone = 10 BFNs

4/2011 Bravelle + Ovidrel + IUI + Crinone + HOPE = 1st BFP EDD 01/21/12

BabyFruit Ticker

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Teddy Roosevelt

Re: IUI #1 Question

• It's like a pap and he can stand near your head he'll be ok! I went alone to mine. MH had to work!
  • He went to the first one.  He just kind of sat of to the side.  It was nice he was there though to chat with for the 20 minutes they made me lay there for after.

He could not make it to the second one though and I was fine with that.  I am very lucky to be one of the woman who doesn't not feel very crampy at all after.

TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have to meet with one of my student's families as soon as we're done so I'm hoping for no cramping too! Thanks for the posts!
    ~Lindsey~

10 Cycles with Femera/Bravelle, even Clomid 1x + Ovidrel + IUI + Crinone = 10 BFNs

BabyFruit Ticker

• Oh and GL on Friday!
    TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • My husband has been in the room with me for all 3 IUIs. He jokes that if someone else is going to impregnate me, he wants to at least be in the same room when it happens. hehe.

My RE does a great job of making him feel involved. The first IUI we did he actually had my H check out my cervix while I was laying there all spread eagle.. my husband actually thought it was pretty neat. :)

good luck!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes my DH came with me. He sat beside me and couldn't actually see anything.
  • Unless our insem falls on the weekend, I doubt my DH will be able to come with me.  If he can, I'd appreciate him being there.  It would be nice if he could at least be in the room while we're 'making a baby' so to speak.  If not, I will be ok with that too.
  • DH came in with me and stood by my head and held my hand. He also kept me entertained for the ten minutes after the proceedure than they kept me reclined on the table. Good luck!
    Trying to grow our family with both fertility treatments and adoption since March 2009 
    IUIs#1-4 = BFN, IVF#1 = c/p, IVF#2 = OHSS, FET#1=BFP
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine was there for 3 and out for one - in the bathroom!  He had to pee and in the time it took him to walk to the bathroom and back, the doc came in and did the IUI - Haha

For the first one he got right up in there when the RN was doing it and was asking all sorts of questions and she was pointing things out to him.  It was pretty funny

• imageloloindiego:

My husband has been in the room with me for all 3 IUIs. He jokes that if someone else is going to impregnate me, he wants to at least be in the same room when it happens. hehe.

This sounds exactly like my DH! He was on the fence about starting IUI so soon but if its what we need to do, then he is down for it.

~Lindsey~

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageloloindiego:

My husband has been in the room with me for all 3 IUIs. He jokes that if someone else is going to impregnate me, he wants to at least be in the same room when it happens. hehe.

My RE does a great job of making him feel involved. The first IUI we did he actually had my H check out my cervix while I was laying there all spread eagle.. my husband actually thought it was pretty neat. :)

good luck!!!

LOL - I just posted that mine did the same thing!  I thought MH was the only weirdo Wink

• imagefotyluv4:
    Unless our insem falls on the weekend, I doubt my DH will be able to come with me.  If he can, I'd appreciate him being there.  It would be nice if he could at least be in the room while we're 'making a baby' so to speak.  If not, I will be ok with that too.

Well I hope your IUI does fall on a weekend! Yours will be coming up soon!

~Lindsey~

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagegymnst1013:
    imageloloindiego:

good luck!!!

LOL - I just posted that mine did the same thing!  I thought MH was the only weirdo Wink

Oh god! That's like DH saying "Gynocology is a personal hobby of mine" all the time and trying to get friendly with my lady parts! Who would have thought anatomy would interest them so much!

~Lindsey~

BabyFruit Ticker

• DH sat in the car for one of my 3 and was not at the other 2. I'm lucky with his schedule he was just able to make the deposit!  I'm also a little afraid he might pass out in the room. I fully am afraid that he will when I am finally in labor!
  • I think you'll be surprised at how anti-climatic the IUI procedure is. I was bummed about having to go by myself and really wished that DH could be there, but the whole thing - speculum to "insemination" - was about 10 seconds. I couldn't believe how fast it was. So DH not being there ended up being no big deal.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageChattyCathy81:
    I think you'll be surprised at how anti-climatic the IUI procedure is. I was bummed about having to go by myself and really wished that DH could be there, but the whole thing - speculum to "insemination" - was about 10 seconds. I couldn't believe how fast it was. So DH not being there ended up being no big deal.

I have to stay for an hour from start to finish. The nurse said their will be an u/s to check my ovary for fluid? Anyone else have a u/s on IUI day?

~Lindsey~

BabyFruit Ticker

• My DH came in the room for my IUI, he held my hand :)
  • I've only had one, but my DH waited in the lobby.  I guess it never occured to either of us to have him come in, but I'm sure they would have let him.  It worked out for us, though, because I had some problems with my cervix that made it expecionally uncomfortable for me and my DH probably would have been curled up in the fetal position if he saw me in that pain.

Good luck to you!

• I don't have anything helpful to add about the IUI, but I wanted to say good luck!
    TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
  • I had some with my husband, some where he had to work.  It's not really invasive or anything.  At my clinic I had to lay there for a while afterwards, so it was nice to have him (but not necessary, since I had a book).  Good luck!
    It took 5 failed IUIs and a failed IVF, but our FET worked!
    My pregnancy after Infertility Blog
    Our baby girl was born on April 27, 2011!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"