Trouble TTC

In the waiting room...(poll of sorts)

Inspired by a post on IF, I got to wondering....

Would you be weirded out if someone in the RE's waiting room struck up a conversation with you?  I always look around at the people in there and wonder what their history is, what they are in for that day, whether they are any of you, etc.

So would you give me the side eye if I started talking to you while we waited for our various tests/procedures?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: In the waiting room...(poll of sorts)

• HelsHels member
    Nope! I'd love it. I hate how everyone just sits there and looks all depressed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As long as you weren't visibly pregnant I wouldn't mind. For whatever reason I feel the most vulnerable in the RE's office. I often look at people to and wonder what they are in here for, what step they are on, etc. I do try to ignore eye contact with the people that bring their LO's there.. But yea gym... we could be buddies @ the RE Stick out tongue
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *First RE visit 5/10 *B/W & SA Normal! 6/10 *Laprascopy - Removed septum and cyst 7/10 *50 mg Clomid 8/21 +Trigger 9/1 = BFN *50 mg Clomid 9/17 = No response *100 mg Clomid 9/29 + Trigger 10/8= BFP!! *Beta 1= 297 *Beta 2= 612! *It's a Boy! EDD July 4th 2011 *Surprise!! Natural BFP! Beta 1=306, Beta 2= 1100! EDD Aug 18th 2012! IT's a BOY!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageHels:

This exactly.

Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
    DX: High FSH/DOR
    It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
    1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
    ?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

• Not at all.  Actually, I've noticed how quiet everyone is in the waiting room and always feel weird with the silence.  We all have something huge in common and would love it if someone started talking to me.
  • The cats out of the bag about DH and I seeing our RE b/c we ran into DH's 1st cousin yesterday with his aunt and they had a very loud convo about her treatments and they questioned our plan. They had no idea we were trying and we are not very close with them.

I wouldn't mind discretly talking to strangers! But family! Ugg.. I was mortified!

~Lindsey~
    Annovulation/Amenorrhea/Mild Endo Scarring

10 Cycles with Femera/Bravelle, even Clomid 1x + Ovidrel + IUI + Crinone = 10 BFNs

4/2011 Bravelle + Ovidrel + IUI + Crinone + HOPE = 1st BFP EDD 01/21/12

BabyFruit Ticker

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Teddy Roosevelt
  • I always wonder the same thing!  I always end up striking up a convo-most women join right in!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My RE just built a brand-spankin-new office that they are moving into on Sept 24 and from what I hear, the waiting room is much smaller than the one in the current office.  Right now everyone spreads out but maybe if we're all forced to sit together, we can get some good conversations started :) 

• I think it's a hard thing to not seem too prying.  I wouldn't mind talking to someone but it's like I'd want them to share first before I came out with our diagnosis.  Or if they talked about what stage they were at - testing, IUI, IVF I wouldn't mind but if someone just came out and asked "So why are you here?"  I'd be like "Do I even know you??"

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• I would love it.  It would be a nice buddy system...kind of like this board Smile.  My RE's office is combined with their Gyn office.  The RE patients go one way and the gyn patients go the other way.  I must say, that I am guilty in watching which way some of these patients are going, are they here for IF, and what have they gone through.  My office is usually pretty good with getting their patients in at their scheduled time.  The waiting room is not as bad as the testing waiting area.  That by far is uncomfortable.  We all look at each other like we want to talk, but don't want to.....
    Life As I Know It
    TTC #1 Since 2/2008
    Dx: Hyperprolactinemia and Unexplained
    Parlodel 2.5 mg (1 Tab M,W,F; 1/2 tab the other days); Folic Acid; Prenatals
    All 5 Clomid cylces resulted in BFN; no more Clomid.
    Laparoscopy Scheduled 1/11/11: Path report showed minor inflammation and infection.
    3/30/11 Biopsy results: cervial and endometrial pathologies normal; one pathology came back abnormal with 5 rare cells from the endometritis
    Cycles 1-5 of Follistim, Novarel, Progesterone = BFN
    Surprise BFP 11/18/11
    Beta #1 208, p4 7.4; Beta #2 1846.20, p4 16.1
    u/s #1 12/2/11 Heart rate 126 bpm measuring at 3mm
  • I would love it.  It would be a nice buddy system...kind of like this board Smile.  My RE's office is combined with their Gyn office.  The RE patients go one way and the gyn patients go the other way.  I must say, that I am guilty in watching which way some of these patients are going, are they here for IF, and what have they gone through.  My office is usually pretty good with getting their patients in at their scheduled time.  The waiting room is not as bad as the testing waiting area.  That by far is uncomfortable.  We all look at each other like we want to talk, but don't want to.....
    Life As I Know It
    TTC #1 Since 2/2008
    Dx: Hyperprolactinemia and Unexplained
    Parlodel 2.5 mg (1 Tab M,W,F; 1/2 tab the other days); Folic Acid; Prenatals
    All 5 Clomid cylces resulted in BFN; no more Clomid.
    Laparoscopy Scheduled 1/11/11: Path report showed minor inflammation and infection.
    3/30/11 Biopsy results: cervial and endometrial pathologies normal; one pathology came back abnormal with 5 rare cells from the endometritis
    Cycles 1-5 of Follistim, Novarel, Progesterone = BFN
    Surprise BFP 11/18/11
    Beta #1 208, p4 7.4; Beta #2 1846.20, p4 16.1
    u/s #1 12/2/11 Heart rate 126 bpm measuring at 3mm
  • imageHels:

This!

• depends on if I'm at a good point in the book I'm reading Geeked
    Helene (Nova726)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Gym - your right - no one ever talks in the waiting room there.  I wouldn't mind of someone talked to me, but I will admit I have never tried to talk to anyone.  Everyone always looks like they feel uncomfortable to be there and not very approachable.  Maybe it's the nature of the RE office.  Although, I don't think I am very social at any dr office waiting room. 

It's interesting to me that the new office at our RE will have a smaller waiting room - you'd think since it was new it would be as big as the current one.  Oh well, maybe you are right - maybe a cozier feel will make starting a conversation easier. 

• imageNova726:
    depends on if I'm at a good point in the book I'm reading Geeked

Haha,  Nova!  This is so me too!!  I was in major traffic today on my way back from my appointment and I read my book for the entire 30 minutes it took me to drive 4 miles.  Total book nerd here. 

• Last cycle my early morning u/s appoinments were always right behind the same women.  We were the only people there and started talking mostly, about the drive up and weekend plans etc.  The office I get my u/s and b/w is a satelite office and not very busy.

When we went up to thebusier main office for the IUI I definitely wondered what each couple was in for. 

• imagegymnst1013:

imageNova726:
    depends on if I'm at a good point in the book I'm reading Geeked

Haha,  Nova!  This is so me too!!  I was in major traffic today on my way back from my appointment and I read my book for the entire 30 minutes it took me to drive 4 miles.  Total book nerd here. 

Lol, I always read whenever I can, but some reason I've slowed down a lot since I got laid off. 

I don't think I'd really mind it if somebody approached me in the waiting room but I think it's only because I'm so used to talking about IF here.  I'm not sure I'd be so open to it otherwise though, but I'm usually a private person.

Helene (Nova726)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • That type of thing depends on my mood. If I'm super nervous or upset about recent news, no, don't talk to me. If not, then yes I would be open to chatting.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagecutebride73:

It's interesting to me that the new office at our RE will have a smaller waiting room - you'd think since it was new it would be as big as the current one.  Oh well, maybe you are right - maybe a cozier feel will make starting a conversation easier. 

Have you seen the new building yet?  Holy crap is it nice looking!!  Yeah, weird that the waiting room would be smaller but the current one is pretty ginormous so maybe they were thinking they had better uses of space?

• LOL everytime I am in the RE's waiting room I always think of the Friends episode where Monica and Chandler meet some of Phoebe's friends who adopted a kid and Chandler says "well there are a lot of malfunctioning weewee's and hoohoo's in this room huh?" Big Smile

Even though I am super curious why everyone is there and what steps they are on I am not sure if I would feel completely comfortable talking to a complete stranger.  Maybe after I saw them there more than once?

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
    5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
    DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~

• I would enjoy it, it may be weird but I wish I could find another infertile that I could talk to in person (not that I don't enjoy talking to you ladies).  I think you should go for it next time!
    TTC since 4/2009 IUI 1-5 all BFN IVF 1 BFP!!!!!! TWINS... Lost our boys at 16 weeks 6 days Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers http://pinterest.com/gigglegurls/pins/
  • It wouldn't bother me one bit if someone struck up a conversation with me.  A few weeks ago, I saw someone I recognized, but she doesn't know me.  It was a local tv newsperson... I thought about saying something but didn't... I wonder if it is weird for her that everyone knows her?!
    TTC #1 since October 2008. Dealing with MFI.
    IVF #1 w ICSI in July 2010 = BFN
    IVF #2.1 in Oct 2010 converted to IUI = BFN
    IVF #2.2 w ICSI in Dec 2010 = BFN
    Met with new RE in new city on 1/31/11.
    IVF #3 w ICSI in April 2011. HPT on 5/9 = BFP!
    Beta #1 on 5/10 (10dp5dt) = 99.4. Beta #2 on 5/12 = 284. First u/s on 5/26. = Fraternal TWINS!
    Twin boys born & lost on 8/16/11 at 18w1d due to PPROM & preterm labor.
    IVF #4.1 in Jan 2012 converted to IUI on 1/7/12 = BFN
    IVF #4.2 w ICSI in Feb 2012. Lupron on 2/10. Stims on 2/18. ER on 2/29- 7R,6F
    ET scheduled for 3/5/12- nothing to transfer :(
    Dh seeing new MFI uro & Dh starting meds- June 2012.
    IVF #5 in Dec 2012 = BFFN.
    IVF #6 planned for Spring 2013. Praying for our take home baby/ies.
    **P/SAIF and P/SAL always welcome!**

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I always get the first appointment of the day.  So, there usually isn't anyone waiting while I am waiting (which isn't long)...  

I would normally be up to speaking with someone in the waiting room at my REs office.

imageimage

~SAIF/PAIF/Everyone Welcome~ 

Me= 37 and DH = 41 

Dx: DOR, Endo, APA+ (really high beta 2 glycoprotein antibody and high everything else tested), heterozygous MTHFR mutation, positive for lupus anticoagulant, high FSH, low AMH and both tubes blocked (per HSG on 3/8/11)

IVF #1 - long lupron (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized; ET 2 blasts and 1 frozen = BFN

IVF #2 - a version of antagonist with EPP (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 blasts and 1 frozen blast transferred on day 5 = BFN.

IVF #3 April was postponed to May, May was canceled. June/July was canceled. Had a cyst aspiration and then began IVF #3 in August. ER on 8/22; ET on 8/24 with AH. +HPT on 9/5. Beta #1 (11dpo) = 3; Beta #2 (15dpo) = 29; Beta #3 (17dpo) = 60; Beta #4 (19 dpo) = 118. Heartbeat at 6 weeks 6 days =132.  Lil is here!

TTC#2:  Trigger + TI = BFN; Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN.

IVF #4:  BCP + MDLF + Lovenox = 7R, 1F = Transferred 1 6-cell embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #5:  MDLF + Lovenox = 4R, 1F = Transferred 1 10-cell compacting embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #6:  (New RE):  Long Antagonist November 2014 (transferred two 8 cell grade 1 embryos and froze one blast) = BFN

FET#1:  BFN

• I think it would depend on the day/my mood/what I am waiting for.

I found myself checking out the other couples as well.  I couldn't help but think, "If I saw you walking down the street I'd never know you had IF.".  As if there's some kind of secret handshake or a 'spidey sense' of sorts...

TTC since August 2009
    June/July 2011 - IVF #1 - Transfer cancelled due to OHSS
    23 perfect embryos. All 23 made it to freezing!
    September/October - FET #1 - October 12th - 2 Grade A embies
    October 20th - BFP??! EDD - July 1, 2012
    Beta #1 = 154, Beta #2 = 352 Beta #3 = 3,800
    U/S #2 - November 14th = 133 bpm! U/S #3 & 4 - November 30th and December 7th = 163 bpm! U/S#5 - January 30th - TEAM PINK!!!
    Baby Sweets born on her due date!
  • imagelyse2143:
    That type of thing depends on my mood. If I'm super nervous or upset about recent news, no, don't talk to me. If not, then yes I would be open to chatting.

This! Like today was my first RE visit, and I was pretty nervous and upset. But under other circumstances I would love to chat with people and hear their stories.

Mama to sunshine baby "J" 5.13.11 and angel baby "E" born still on 2.11.14
    TTC our rainbow since April '14

• I would not mind at all. One women did start a conversation with me just because it was before the office was open and we were both standing in the hallway
  • Maybe it would depend if it was just small talk or what.

I did have my first baby at the REs office experience when I was in for my last IUI.  There was a couple there with a little girl that was probably about 10 months old.  She was toddling all over the place and walked over and handed me the book she had with her.  While it was very cute, I had to hold back tears.

I was wondering the whole time what they were doing there.  Getting ready to try for #2 I guess.

TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • I would not mind at all, as a matter of fact I think it would feel somewhat comforting. Everyone stresses in their own way while waiting out there, for me a little small talk would be great. 

You want to chat with me next time before my appt Gymnast?

TTGP since 09/09, BFP 10/6/10 Our little Bean was born on 06/16/2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHels:

this!

• imagemissAntebellum:

I would not mind at all, as a matter of fact I think it would feel somewhat comforting. Everyone stresses in their own way while waiting out there, for me a little small talk would be great. 

I would love to!! :)

• My RE has virtually no waiting time, so I wouldn't get a chance to anyway :(

I think it would depend on my mood, but I am less likely to strike up a convo. I would gladly respond though if someone talked to me.

• imagemdluv21:

I did have my first baby at the REs office experience when I was in for my last IUI.  There was a couple there with a little girl that was probably about 10 months old.  She was toddling all over the place and walked over and handed me the book she had with her.  While it was very cute, I had to hold back tears.

I was wondering the whole time what they were doing there.  Getting ready to try for #2 I guess.

(((hugs)))

• imagekatib77:
    I think it's a hard thing to not seem too prying.  I wouldn't mind talking to someone but it's like I'd want them to share first before I came out with our diagnosis.  Or if they talked about what stage they were at - testing, IUI, IVF I wouldn't mind but if someone just came out and asked "So why are you here?"  I'd be like "Do I even know you??"

I agree. I guess it depends on how I ( or the other person) starts off the conversation as well as the tone. Most women at my RE's office, though, have their DHs with them ( mine never goes). So, it'd be tough to talk to them when I'm running solo.

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • imagegymnst1013:
    imagemissAntebellum:

I would not mind at all, as a matter of fact I think it would feel somewhat comforting. Everyone stresses in their own way while waiting out there, for me a little small talk would be great. 

I would love to!! :)

Aww.. unfortunately it'd be a long drive from DC to Pittsburgh. Dang it. Smile

TTGP since 09/09, BFP 10/6/10 Our little Bean was born on 06/16/2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No, not at all.  I've spoken with a few people here at there.  There are quite a few others that avoid eye contact, though, and I can understand that. 
    It took 5 failed IUIs and a failed IVF, but our FET worked!
    My pregnancy after Infertility Blog
    Our baby girl was born on April 27, 2011!
  • When I was there on Mon, I was walking out as another woman was walking in.  She asked me if it was a good appt or not.  I was a little caught off guard but just said, "I hope so, but we'll see!"  She wished me good luck and we went our separate ways.  Now that I think about it, it was nice that she even asked.  We all know why we're there anyway, why not offer some kind words to strangers?

• imagejms1223:

I'd love it. 

Agreed!  I   h-a-t-e   how quiet our waiting room is.  Maybe because I'm always there at the crack of dawn, other patients haven't had their coffee yet?  :-)

• I would be totally fine if someone struck up a conversation in the RE's waiting room.  But I also used to strike up conversations with random strangers walking past the house when I was a kid (we lived in a small town).
    TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
  • I love it.  I made a friend last time, we live in the same neighborhood, work in the same town.  It was nice to have someone to talk to instead of just sitting there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"