Pregnant after a Loss

My PCP thinks I work too much. Do you agree?

This morning my PCP asked me how many hours I'm working.  I told her 50+/week and she gave me this look like "you know you aren't supposed to do that..." and then asked when I'm going to stop working - she guessed 6 weeks before my edd.  I said 1 week before my edd.  Another long pause.

Eeek.  Am I crazy to work this much?  I sit at my desk all day, so it's not like it's physically draining. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My PCP thinks I work too much. Do you agree?

• I really think it depends on your body. I do think 50+ is definitely more than I could do at work, but maybe sitting makes it easier. I just would consider that you may have to cut back the closer you get to your EDD. Pay close attention to what your body is telling you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Babywearing, cloth diapering, formula and breastmilk feeding, still can't believe I'm a mom, momma to my little man, two furbabies, and two angel babies.
  • Is is mentally or emotionally draining? because that counts too.  You know what you can handle.  Just be honest with yourself and you'll know when it's time to say "ok, i'm done."  The trick is being done when that happens.  :)  

Having been off work since the end of April, i'm actually rather envious. 

• Loading the player...
  • i worked until my due date but my job is super easy. i guess i'd only worry if your job is super stressful.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Labor Buddy to Blowfish11
  • I think you know this best. I am sure if you felt like you were tired and rundown, you would cut back or take it easy. 
    Three losses in 2009, a miracle in 2010! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker The Method to My Madness, a PPD blog
  • My first reaction is that your PCP is a little judgmental.  Maybe she quit work six weeks before edd, but that doesn't mean you have to.  If you feel like you are handling it--managing stress and not too tired, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • I think that's the norm for a practicing attorney but considering how stressful that usually is (I hope you have an easier practice than I did) I think that it might be a bit much as you get further along. I don't think it's the sitting on your butt that matters- it's the stress that you are under.
    BFP 1/8/10, missed mc 2/15/10, baby @8w3d. Natural mc 2/23/10 Goodbye our sweet little peanut. We love you so. Every lament is a love song...
    Harper Oksana, born on her due date, January 20, 2011, and the love of my life
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My job can be pretty stressful.  But the thing is that if I spend less time in the office, I get more stressed (if that makes any sense at all).  At least when I am here I can easily get my work done, answer calls, print documents, etc.  If I'm home I'm constantly checking my phone for emails, I'm trying to work at the kitchen table, I have no printer and my internet is slow. 

It's sort of all or nothing with my job.  Cutting back hours will not cut back responsibility. 

So far I think it is all pretty manageable, but I think my PCP planted a seed in DH's brain and he's going to try to convince me to stop working earlier. 

I'm afraid I'll be bored at home and I don't want to use my maternity leave before the baby comes if I can save it for after. 

• I work about the same. And I plan to work until I pop.

So....

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I worked 40ish hours a week with DS 1, standing and bending constantly the entire time. I left work on Oct 1st because I was having contractions, and had him on the 8th.

I figured as long as paid attention to how I was feeling and didn't over do it, I was fine. As long as you remember to stop if it gets to be too much, I think  you're fine. I'm rather envious that you're working since I haven't since the beginning of April. I'm going nuts!

• I had the most stressful time of my life at work in the 6 weeks leading up to DS's birth, and I stopped working 5 days before my due date. Looking back, I think I was insane, but I'm glad I did the work and had the time there I had, especially since I wasn't coming back.

Trust yourself and your body to know what the right amount is. 

Mommy to Alden, born May 19, 2007 - best birthday present ever! natural m/c October 20, 2008 at 8w1d BFP April 4, 2009! Missed m/c discovered May 1, 2009 D&C May 12,2009 BFP March 3, 2010 Chemical pregnancy BFP May 25, 2010 Elias Derek born January 26, 2011! Surprise BFP October 24, 2012 Missed m/c confirmed Nov 26 D&C Nov 30 Surprise BFP February 13, 2013
  • 50+ is way more than I could do right now, but I did it when I was pregnant with DD and was on-call 24/7 (worked for a Senator)... so I guess its possible.  I think quitting 6 weeks before your EDD is WAY too much... wouldn't that cut into your maternity leave and potentially divide it into half??  Maybe 1 or 2 weeks.... but I'd cut back hours to 35 - 40 about 4 weeks before your EDD since you'll be getting pretty uncomfortable, even sitting.
  • I work as much as you do and pretty much sit at my desk all day long also.  I too thought I could go a week before my due date, but when I hit about 33 1/2 weeks it got really unbearable for me.  I went from feeling pretty good to almost crying because I was so uncomfortable and sitting in a chair was just becoming really unbearable.  At 34 weeks I went into see my doctor for really bad pelvic pain and was told to rest up.  I realized that I would not be able to make it to 39 weeks even though I wanted to and my Doctor recommended I stop working at 36 weeks and I am now counting the days... I decided this Friday would be my last day and I can't wait to stop working.  Even working from home is getting hard because its hard for me to be in one position all day I start getting nerve pains on top of the normal aches.

I hope you continue to feel good ... just wanted to share because my decision to stop working earlier happened pretty quick.  Now I'm just trying to wrap up and transition things over.  I told my work I would be available during my leave, but didn't want to feel obligated to be working for a whole day so I could rest and nap.

• WOW, what is it about us female attorneys that we sound like such workaholics to everyone else.  I also work 50-60 hours/week, and so far everything seems just fine to me.  I try not to lift heavy files myself, or to walk too far but other than that my office is pretty relaxed and I'm lucky that I can take lots of breaks or work from home when I feel like I need it.  

Lately, whenever someone asks me how long I plan on taking off after the baby is born an I have an idea that they have a smart comment brewing, I have been telling them that I plan on taking off the Saturday after the birth but will be back in the office by Sunday.  That usually shuts them up :)

I really do plan to work until I pop, like PP said, just because I think I'll need more time when the baby is here than I will beforehand.

GL to all, and HAGN! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Do I agree? yes....BUT I am the same. I work 50 plus hours per week...at a high stress job. But I do sit all day like you  so it's not physically draining just mentally.

Everyone is in shock that I work so much and even my employer it telling me they want me to go home by 6 every night...so we shall see if that works.

6 weeks starting your maternity leave? I wouldn't see that unless medically necessary...I am the same as you I said 1 week before my EDD too.

I think if you are used to the hours then you will be ok :) Arent' we all a little crazy? :)

Our Princess! Born 37w4d 6lbs 1/2oz 18in

visit our house blog: My Blog

Adalee's Blog Adalee's Blog My Bio

m/c 1/25/10 5w1d Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't think you are out of the norm.  I work about that and plan to continue at work until I go into labor.  I'd rather have the time off after.  Like others have said, just listen to your body!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"