Pregnant after a Loss

xp: Will you get the flu shot this year?

I work with kids and parents every day so I know my dr. will probaly want me to get this shot this year. I am on the fence right now and want to do what is best for my child. I plan on talking to her at my next appointment. If I agree to it I want the Thermisol free vaccine. What are your thoughts?
>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: xp: Will you get the flu shot this year?

• Nope. I've never had one, DH has never had one nor has DD#1 (who's 5 years old and has been in daycare since she was 4 months old). I'm not a big fan of the flu vaccine. A doctor told me that the flu vaccine is not an exact science like say polio. It is based off of the flu of the prior year and the developers tweak it off how they think it will mutate. It may not protect you from whatever new strain may be going around that year.

By the way, I thought they changed all vaccines to Thermisol (sp?) free. I'm not 100% sure on that though. 

• My OB was recommending it last year when I was pg with the twins.  The office was actually giving the shot out to all pg women because they felt it was well worth it and safe for the babies.  So if they recommend it again...I will be getting it.
  • Loading the player...
  • No, I don't plan to get one this year.
  • DH and I both got the regular flu shot and H1N1 last year.  I was not pg at the time though.  We both work in jobs that we are at a higher risk of being exposed.  We will both get it again this year.  I don't want to expose lo to it if at all possible and she will be too young to get one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't get one last year and was fine.  I won't get one this year until after I have the baby.  I'm sure it's NBD, but I'm just really anti any unecessary meds while I'm pregnant.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've never had one, neither has DH... and I don't plan on starting now. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Missing our sweet Angeline. BFP #1: 7.12.09 / EDD: 3.15.10 / Missed Miscarriage: 8.14.10
    BFP #2: 3.16.10 / EDD: 11.28.12 / Collin Rex born 12.1.10
    TTC#2: May 2012
    BFP #3: 7.5.12 / CP 7.12.12
    BFP #4: 1.28.12 / EDD: 10.11.13
    betas: 10dpo: 91 / 14dpo: 493 / first u/s: 3.4.13
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had to get them both last year because my MIL was on chemo and we needed to be safe. Prior to that, I never got them since I graduated college. However, I also got the flu three times. And it was beyond terrible- I can't remember ever being more sick than when I had the flu. That being said, I haven't given it much thought. I will probably talk it over with the pedi and my own PCP before I make a final decision. I think since I won't be working, I have a smaller chance of getting it- working with 500+ kids kept me exposed to all kinds of germs. 
    Three losses in 2009, a miracle in 2010! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker The Method to My Madness, a PPD blog
  • imagenatoshacooke:
    I've never had one, neither has DH... and I don't plan on starting now. 

This

Married 6/30/07, TTC 9/07,Mc 12/07, Mc #2 10/8/09,Twin boys 11/30/10, seperated 8/11image
    "Our greatest glory isn't in never falling but in rising every time we fall"
    8/24/09 3rd cycle on 50mg Clomid= BFP 9/23/09 =10/8/09 m/c #2 at 6wks 2days 3/9/10 4th Cycle on 50mg Clomid = BFP 4-5-10 200mg prometrium 2xdaily 1st beta/progesterone 10dpo=43 2nd beta 13dpo=339 u/s 4/16=5wks 3days single visible sac and fetal pole h/b 4/28=Suprise it's Twins! 150 and 127 bpm Labor Buddy to Sonadora and Strunella
    cleaning2
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Craft Blog *~* Loss/Pg Blog: PM me if you'd like to read along *~*Bfp Chart imageimage
  • i probably will bc i work in the health field and my dr is very pro flu shots and gets hers every year. and no the flu shots don't come routinely without thermisol you have to ask for them. i didn't get it with my first but i did with my second and it was hard to get it!
  • I usually always get them.  I work with little kids.  However, there were too many coincidences with my losses after I got the regular flu shot and H1N1.  I won't get it unless they absolute insist on it.  I'm not sure about the regular flu shot, but the H1N1 shot can cause m/c.  They say the benefits out weigh the risks.  If I had known that earlier, I wouldn't have gotten it.  That's just me.
  • YES!!  I will be the first one in line to get it!  Last fall my DD and I got what was probably H1N1, she  recovered quickly and I did not... I was pregnant at the time (although found out a week after having it flu that my baby had passed away weeks earlier).  I was only able to take Tylenol and eventually Mucinex and Sudafed, once I was so miserable I honestly didn't know if I would survive.  I was terrified the ENTIRE time that my fever was going to endanger my baby (I was 12 weeks at the time).  I had a very hard time keeping my fever down- it was as high as 103 at times.  This happened in Oct. but I had made the choice NOT to get the flu shot for myself...  When you are pregnant your immune system is somewhat suppressed, it's much harder to fight off illnesses.  I'm not telling you that you should get it- just offering a perspective of what it was like to have the flu and be pregnant.  I am vaccine wary- with my DD I did the alternative schedule, but for my family - we'll all be getting it this year, it will also help protect our new baby when she is born in December.  My clinic only does the preservative free vaccine.
  • imagekew243:
    I usually always get them.  I work with little kids.  However, there were too many coincidences with my losses after I got the regular flu shot and H1N1.  I won't get it unless they absolute insist on it.  I'm not sure about the regular flu shot, but the H1N1 shot can cause m/c.  They say the benefits out weigh the risks.  If I had known that earlier, I wouldn't have gotten it.  That's just me.

From what I have read from credible resources, the H1N1 vaccine causing miscarriages is a myth... there have been studies and the rate isn't any higher than those who were unvaccinated.  The H1N1 vaccine has the same ingredients as the regular flu vaccine, just with the H1N1 virus.  That said- I totally understand the fear of getting it- seeing that it is considered Category C is what freaked me out- and the reason that I didn't get it last year (and then actually got sick).  I wish this would be a higher priority for research!

• Yes!
  • Since I will have a tiny newborn who can't get the flu shots during flu season...I will get both to protect him and so will DH and DS.

DS gets top priority at our Pedi's for both flu shots because of his Metabolic Disorder...I don't mess around with risking NOT getting them for him.  If he had a bad case of the flu or H1N1 it would likely mean a long hospital stay and major complications.  This baby has a 1/4 chance of having the same disorder.  If he has it and since he's unable to be vaccinated I want to make sure the whole household has the shots to protect him as much as possible.

I did not get them while pregnant.

And they only make Thimerisol free vaccines now.

• Since I am out of 1st tri and LO will be born right in the middle of flu season everyone in our house (DH, DS, and I) will be getting the flu shot. 
    Mommy to Alden, born May 19, 2007 - best birthday present ever! natural m/c October 20, 2008 at 8w1d BFP April 4, 2009! Missed m/c discovered May 1, 2009 D&C May 12,2009 BFP March 3, 2010 Chemical pregnancy BFP May 25, 2010 Elias Derek born January 26, 2011! Surprise BFP October 24, 2012 Missed m/c confirmed Nov 26 D&C Nov 30 Surprise BFP February 13, 2013
  • imageKelzinBoston:
    And they only make Thimerisol free vaccines now.

This is not true of the flu vaccine. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/thimerosal.htm

However, it is possible to ask for a thimerosal-free vaccine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"