Natural Birth
Options

Labor support

Hey ladies, I guess I havent formally introduced myself. I am currently pregnant with my 3rd (and last) child. My boys are 5 and almost 7. With both pregnancies, I was induced due to Pre-E (First was very serious and second alot more mild). DS1 was long and hard---took all meds they gave me plus an epidural. DS2 was 4 hours--and went ahead with the epidural after 4-5cm. I am a nurse, and have aspirations of becoming a midwife when the kids are a bit older. Needless to say, Ive made the decision for this labor to be as natural as possible, with as little intervention as possible--hoping to avoid Pre-E this time around.

My question for you all is: Who do you all intend on using for labor support? Right now I am teeter-tottering between using either a doula in training---more affordable for my family at this point OR having DH and my mom tag team to support me during the labor. They both are VERY aware of my desires during labor and have agreed to assist in any way they can. Neither are medical and I feel they would need some sort of 'cue card' or something. A list of ideas to help get me comfortable should I need be able to think straight. Are any of you doing this? Without taking classes? What are your ideas for prepping your family members as labor support? Any online resources would be greatly appreciated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Labor support

• Options
    I would recommend that DH and your mom read "The Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin.  Probably good for you look over as well.  The book will give your DH and your mom a very good idea of what might be expected of them in their role as your support and whether they can actually commit to it.  If they think they can't then I would go with a doula in training.  She won't be as experienced as a certified doula, but she will have a good grounding in what it takes to be a good support person.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Options

If you opt for having your DH or mom be your coach, and don't take classes with them, I would suggest to at least read a coaching-based birth method book such as Husband-Coached Child Birth (Bradley). This will educate them on the different stages of labor and emotional signposts they can watch for and what things they can do to help you through each stage. A doula in training who is already versed on this or another method might be a great way to go, too. 

HTH. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am having DH and Mom there as my support. DH is taking hypnobirthing classes with me, and reading all the same books as me. That way when I refer to something or suggest something, he and I are on the same page, literally. My mom had all her children naturally, so I don't feel like she needs any prep (nor does she have time, she works full time and is getting her masters degree at the moment).

I would not worry about them not being "medical". After all, natural birth is not about the medical side of things. Have them read books, or take classes with you by all means, but I wouldn't worry about them not being able to figure out the cues of labor. After all, you suggested them yourself, so you must have at least a little faith in them, right? I am not using a doula simply for the fact that I feel more comfortable with my family members, who know my "isms" as I call them--your quirks, faces, movements, etc.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"