Trouble TTC

First RE visit today

I posted a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe it's been that long...I am going to try to get better at posting Embarrassed. Life is just flying by at break neck speeds right now.

Anyway, the RE said that she doesn't know why I haven't ovulated at all, since I had always had regular periods before. But she is giving me Prometrium to start my period, and then Clomid 50 mg after that, which honestly scares me to death after all of the stuff I've read on here about it.

She did a baseline U/S, which she didn't say much about...she mentioned something about PCOS, but definitely didn't diagnose me with anything today.

I'm supposed to start the Clomid on CD5, and then go back for b/w on CD21. However they aren't going to do another U/S, as far as I can tell, unless they move on to do an IUI. Is this normal? 

Also, they have already had me order Ovudrel injection...which seemed weird to me..since isn't that the trigger for the IUI? 

Sorry I have so many questions... The last one is, the RE said that I didn't have to keep charting, which also seemed weird. You can still chart and be on Clomid right? It shouldn't affect the temps or OPKs... 

Sorry this is so long. Thanks. 

Mama to sunshine baby "J" 5.13.11 and angel baby "E" born still on 2.11.14
TTC our rainbow since April '14

Re: First RE visit today

• I can't answer all you questions. I'm a newbie too. But Ovidril isn't always used with IUI. It can be a stand alone trigger as well. It seems odd that you would be using it though without an u/s though. How will you know what day to trigger? By your charts? or OPK's?

Best of luck. I'm sure the other ladies can be of more assistance!

~Lindsey~
    Annovulation/Amenorrhea/Mild Endo Scarring

10 Cycles with Femera/Bravelle, even Clomid 1x + Ovidrel + IUI + Crinone = 10 BFNs

4/2011 Bravelle + Ovidrel + IUI + Crinone + HOPE = 1st BFP EDD 01/21/12

BabyFruit Ticker

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Teddy Roosevelt
  • Glad to hear your appt went well!  I did chart while using Clomid, it didn't seem to affect my temps at all.  If I remember correct it might affect OPK's, but I'm not sure on that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi Scoot!!

Has the RE had you do bloodwork and an HSG test, yet? I would say it's pretty important to get these tests done, prior to taking clomid, because if there's a tube blockage, or any other issues they find, the clomid won't help. And since most REs believe in a max # of months the patient takes clomid, you don't want to waste your clomid cycles. On top of that, the u/s' during a clomid cycle are very important.. regardless of whether you do an IUI or not.

The ovidrel injection/trigger shot, can be used for a non-IUI cycle. It just helps to ensure ovulation, so it doesn't matter whether you're doing an IUI or TI.

As for charting, the RE probably just said you don't have to keep charting because they don't believe it helps. Some REs don't mind charting, others think it's not helpful. You can definitely still chart while taking clomid.. you might see some higher than normal temps in the beginning, but other than that there's no difference. No difference with the OPKs either.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageloloindiego:

Hi Scoot!!

Has the RE had you do bloodwork and an HSG test, yet? I would say it's pretty important to get these tests done, prior to taking clomid, because if there's a tube blockage, or any other issues they find, the clomid won't help. And since most REs believe in a max # of months the patient takes clomid, you don't want to waste your clomid cycles. On top of that, the u/s' during a clomid cycle are very important.. regardless of whether you do an IUI or not.

I asked her this very question, if there was a maximum number of months I could take Clomid, and she told me no. She said that there was some research to say that if a couple has been on fertility drugs for more than a year, that the likelihood of the drugs being effective beyond that point is small.  

I am becoming more nervous about this RE. 

• Everything Lolo said.  I would be a little nervous too - how can they know when to give you the trigger without an u/s?  Makes no sense to me.
  • imagescootRN:
    imageloloindiego:

Hi Scoot!!

I asked her this very question, if there was a maximum number of months I could take Clomid, and she told me no. She said that there was some research to say that if a couple has been on fertility drugs for more than a year, that the likelihood of the drugs being effective beyond that point is small.  

I am becoming more nervous about this RE. 

hm.. Did she even mention the other bloodwork or HSG that should be done? If she hasn't I would definitely be concerned. I know a lot of people have experiences with OB's throwing clomid at them without doing testing, and without monitoring.. but to hear an RE do that, is pretty surprising.  

I would definitely say that if you're not comfortable with taking clomid before all of the testing has been done, and without monitoring, you should tell her that. If she puts up a fight with you, look for a new RE. Just remember, it's your journey, and your body. Be your own advocate! :)

• Your appointment sounds identical to mine. 

My R.E. also prescribed me Clomid and BW, but no USnds (he told me he would only do them if I was on an IUI/IVF cycle).   He also told me not to worry about charting and to just use OPKs.

ETA: I've already had an HSG and previous blood work done.  Also, my R.E. isn't using a trigger.

TTC since August 2009
    June/July 2011 - IVF #1 - Transfer cancelled due to OHSS
    23 perfect embryos. All 23 made it to freezing!
    September/October - FET #1 - October 12th - 2 Grade A embies
    October 20th - BFP??! EDD - July 1, 2012
    Beta #1 = 154, Beta #2 = 352 Beta #3 = 3,800
    U/S #2 - November 14th = 133 bpm! U/S #3 & 4 - November 30th and December 7th = 163 bpm! U/S#5 - January 30th - TEAM PINK!!!
    Baby Sweets born on her due date!
  • imageloloindiego:

Hi Scoot!!

The ovidrel injection/trigger shot, can be used for a non-IUI cycle. It just helps to ensure ovulation, so it doesn't matter whether you're doing an IUI or TI.

As for charting, the RE probably just said you don't have to keep charting because they don't believe it helps. Some REs don't mind charting, others think it's not helpful. You can definitely still chart while taking clomid.. you might see some higher than normal temps in the beginning, but other than that there's no difference. No difference with the OPKs either.

Everything Lolo said.  Also has your husband had a S/A yet?  Thats a pretty important test to do in the beginning as well.  You certainly don't want to "waste" clomid cycle if you have a lot of things working against you.  Its just not worth it!

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
    5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
    DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~

• I have had my thyroid checked and my prolactin levels. The RE didn't really seem overly concerned by my not ovulating. It seems to me like she wants to see if I will ovulate/become pg with Clomid before pursuing other things.

How would I go about finding another RE should I come to that conclusion...because basically, this one wants me to start Clomid as soon as I get to the next cycle. 

Edit for clarity. 

• This was my first cycle on Clomid, and I kept charting.  It didn't seem to affect my temps, but it did seem to impact OPKs.  I would definitely recommend continuing to chart.  It's not going to hurt anything and if you are doing TI, it will help.  Also, your doc should be doing an u/s between CD 12 and 15.  You should absolutely be monitored while on the Clomid. 

Good luck with everything!

TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"