Multiples

Picking a pediatician

How should I go about picking a pediatrician?  I have the list of pediatricians affiliated with my hospital and I have that narrowed down to 2 groups based on office location.  What do I do beyond that?  Each of these groups has 6+ doctors in it.  I was thinking about asking my local MoMs group for a referral.  Any other ideas?

I'm on restricted activity per my OB so I don't really want to make appointments at both places but I could if I need to.  How important do you think that is?

jailbirds Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Picking a pediatician

• Well other than just liking the doctors, which you won't know without meeting them, there are a few other things you could ask to help narrow down your decision.

Obviously make sure they accept your insurance.  Rule number 1 right there.

What kind of plan do they have in place if your LOs get sick after hours?  Do they have an after hours line you can call for advice?  Do they have any weekend hours?  Do they send you to a certain urgent care clinic?  Are you just SOL and have to go to the ER for every little thing if it's not between 8-5 during the week?

How far out do appointments usually book (aka how busy are they on a normal basis)?  You don't want to be stuck having to schedule well-baby appointments several months in advance, or have to wait more than 24 hours for an illness that needs to be taken care of immediately.  Also, how accomodating are they of multiples?  Are you going to be able to easily schedule them for appointments at the same time, or is it difficult to find back to back slots and you'll have to bring them in on separate days?

If you're thinking you may want to try an alternative vaccination schedule, are they willing to follow that, or do they strictly stay on the recommended schedule?

What are their policies for showing up late to appointments, or having to cancel last minute?  What kind of payment options are available to you (up-front, payment plans, etc)? 

• Leslie offered some great questions that you can call each practice and ask.  But I would also call around to any friends and neighbors that may have used them.  We found ours through word of mouth and we are very happy with them.

**I am sending you a PM right now.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I think asking other MoMs in your area is a great idea. That's how I found our peds group. I wanted to make sure they had experience with multiples, and maybe I got lucky, but I love our pediatricians.
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • I found one that is incredibly close to our house, takes our insurance, and has excellent reviews online. When I called to get more information, their recording included the Phineas and Ferb theme song rewritten and, I believe, sung by the physician himself.

I was sold. I know this makes me shallow, but if for some reason I don't like the practice once we get going, I figure we can always change!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with talking to others, but honestly for me I wanted to meet them.  We live in a place where I am fairly new and I asked everyone and they all said the same place.  When we went I really liked the Dr's but once we started going there we had some really bad experiences with the support staff which really turned us off.  We ended up switching and I am glad I did.  But again, even when looking to switch and asking around, everyone referred us to the place we were leaving!  I don't know if it's just for location or what but everyone in our town goes to the place we weren't happy with.  Now I drive a little further but we are much happier!  GL!
  • I would ask for recommendations from your local MoM's, your local nest/bump boards, friends, etc.  You could meet with a doc, but IMO you really need to see him/her interact with your child(ren) in order to know if you like him/her.  I will say that we chose a man to be our pedi since we have boys.  We figured that as they get a little older (and especially into that puberty stage), they'd feel more comfortable with a male doctor than a female.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"