Northern California Babies

Anyone have experience with Sheehan's Syndrome?

My Endocrinologist thinks that I possibly have Sheehan's syndrome, but my blood work isn't giving clear signs. 

Does anyone have experience with Sheehan's, PP hypopitutiaryism, or PP hypothyroidism, or PP Thyroidosis.

If you'd rather email me you can at danandkelly715 at gmail.

TIA!

Re: Anyone have experience with Sheehan's Syndrome?

• K, I had never heard of Sheehan's syndrome until you posted this. But I did have pretty severe post partum thyroiditis. What do you want to know?

• How did they diagnose it? And what did they do to treat it? Did you start to feel more normal right away? Thanks S!
  • Loading the player...
  •  It appeared at about 6 months post partum, and started with insomnia, anxiety, heart palpitations, and shortness of breath.  It also included hair loss and weight loss but I didn't realize it at the time. Anyway, my blood work was straight forward -- I had severe hyperthyroid (TSH was undectable on lab tests so was reported as below .01), my anti-thyroid hormones were off the charts (the test reads up to 1000 and mine was over that) so I was classified as auto-immune thyroid disease (most likely Hashimotos) with post partum thyroiditis.

I was treated with propranolol to treat the heart issues and told that if it persisted past 1 year I would need radiation to treat the thyroid. I never did radiation and am now normal to hypothyroid. 

The heart meds really helped me stabilize on a day to day basis but I still felt jacked up (like I was on speed or something) for a months.  I still had insomnia for months.  I was given stuff to treat that but I didn't feel comfortable taking it because of C.  It eventually subsided (when DS was about 18 months old) as my doc told me it might and they suspect I'm on my way to permanent hypothyroid as a result, which will eventually be treated with replacement thyroid hormone. 

Does that info help?

• Thanks, that helps.

I was hoping that my blood work would be straight forward, but so far it hasn't been. 

I've been having super low blood pressure, like 88/55 and low heart rate, and then it changes from when I'm laying down vs standing, drastically.

That with my hair loss, weight loss followed by weight gain, breast milk issues etc points to Sheehans, but with the blood work looking okay it's sort of weird.

I'm hoping that he'll order a MRI or a CT scan next so I can get answers.

• I hope the test give you some answers. If they are doing a diagnostic scan, I think they use a very low dose of radioactive iodine which shows up on the scan.  I did a bunch of research on it at the time because I was worried about DS, but the diagnostic test apparently is fine if you are BFing for just caring for an infant.  The theraputic doses (to radiate the thyroid or parathyroid) are not safe for BFing which is why I never did it.

• I was diagnosed with post-partum hypothyroidism at approximately 5 months postpartum.  It took me about a full year of treatment to feel normal again.  It was awful and terrifying when at first they did not know what was wrong and I was sent for an MRI and CT scan.  I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"