Breastfeeding

A question for you pumping experts

My supply is so low at night I've been supplementing with 1 bottle of formula & breast milk anight per the pediatricians advice. I let my son nurse on both sides before I offer the bottle but after he's been nursing for a while, he'll start squirming and grunting and then eventually pull off screaming and desperately trying to re-latch to eat and will then guzzle down the bottle in minutes. In the morning my son will eat off of one side so I've been pumping for 20 min on the side he eats on. I do this for the first 4 morning sessions (twice on each side) to help increase my supply. I usually only get 1/2 ounce per pumping session and put that in the bottle I give him at night.

Do you have any suggestions on what else I can try to help create more milk for him at night so I don't have to give him formula?

Should I be pumping the side he feeds on AND the side he doesn't feed on in the morning; just pump the side he feeds on; or just pump the side he doesn't feed on?

Photobucket

Re: A question for you pumping experts

• I wouldn't call myself an expert but IMO if you're having supply issues at all then I would pump both sides.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I find I get the most volume in the middle of the night.  A thought could be to pump after those nursing sessions too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are trying to up your supply, make sure you are drinking enough water.  You should be drinking about a gallon a day.  If you don't have enough fluids (and the right kind) you body can't make enough milk.  Also I would recommend pumping both breast each time after you feed.  It will take about a week or two but then you will notice a difference in the amount of milk.
  • Organic mother's milk tea might help, I have been using it and noticed a difference.  Mother Love also has some supplements I have friends that use them and they say they work (but are pricey).  Good luck!
  • imagejilicious:
    I wouldn't call myself an expert but IMO if you're having supply issues at all then I would pump both sides.
    Yes

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"