Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Flu shot for LO?

Just hoping some of you can help me make a decision about this. I know people feel strongly one way or the other and I fall kind of in the middle.  I go by the recommended schedule for standard vaccinations but for the flu shot, I am more fearful--probably because I have heard of 2 people having had severe reactions to the flu shot in the recent year.  I opted not to get the flu shot for DD last year.  DH nor I are big supporters of flu shots--we don't get them ourselves and we manage to stay pretty healthy thru the cold and flu season.  I'm also one of those who likes to go the natural route whenever possible.  But I certainly would feel very guilty if LO were to get the flu and get seriously ill.  It seems to me like either way we go there are risks involved.  If you know of any good research out there on this topic, I would love to hear about it.  Thanks and pls don't judge! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Flu shot for LO?

• Options

Personally I have never had a flu shot and neither has DH.  I don't ever plan on getting one either.  Even when I was PG during the winter my OB never told me I had to have one.  Just said get it if I want to.

DD got one last year as part of her regular vaccinations, but I am not sure yet if I'm going to have her get one this fall or not. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We have chosen to not get it except for DH (he has to) because I am a SAHM and DS doesn't go to daycare. He's at a lot lower risk of contracting it from someone. 

We also follow an alternate vaccination schedule, The Vaccine Book really helped me see everything and all the options. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Last year I got one for the first time ever. DD was young and I was working in a nursing home at the time. This year I am a SAHM so I won't be getting the shot. DD will not be getting one, but we follow an alternative delayed vacc. schedule.

ETA: I came up with our schedule by using Dr. Sears Vaccine Book and determining which ones were most important, most common, which to get together, etc.  You could probably check it out from the library if you want to read more about the flu shot. He presents the facts, and I don't believe he's biased in one way or another. He gives pros and cons, etc.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm pretty pro flu-shot, but then again ds goes to daycare, and dh is a high school teacher, so there has been plenty of sickness in our house during flu season.  Dh and I both get free flu shots at work, and ds's pedi strongly reccomends that he get one ( he got one last year)  because he is a preemie, and is more likely to get sick.  

• Options

DD, DH, and I all did the flu shot last year.  DD is a preemie, so we're not taking any chances while her immune system is still playing catch-up.  I also work at a hospital, so it seems like a wise choice for me (and it's free for employees). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I work in a clinic where we see patients with flu symptoms and DD goes to daycare. Therefore I would rather have our whole family vaccinated than any of us getting seriously ill.  More children die or get seriously ill from the flu than from the flu shot, so that's where I let my cards lay. But I think every family has to make the decision on their own.

But for me, and my house, we will be getting the regular flu shot and the h1n1 if it is available.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageDEBBIE33CASEY:

But for me, and my house, we will be getting the regular flu shot and the h1n1 if it is available.

the reg. flu and h1n1 are combined this year.

OP- We will all be getting the flu shot in our house. I got mine yesterday (flu mist). I'm a SAHM ,but I still think it's very important.

• Options
    We're all getting it. DD got it and the H1N1 last year when she was old enough in January even though I was home with her. I'm home, but it's not like we live in a hermetically sealed bubble. All it takes is one encounter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"