Adoption

Introduction and a few questions

Hi! My name is Sky. DH and I have been married since 8/8/08! We started our TTC journey in Dec. of 2009. DH was diagnosed with azoospermia some time ago and we have since done 4 donor IUIs. Each one was a BFN. We have decided to consider adoption. DH is very apprehensive about it. We are going in for a consultation with LDS church services just so we can get an idea of how it works. First off, in Utah, it is very difficult to adopt through the LDS church services because there are a LOT of families adopting through them. What other options are out there? How would you find these options and how do you find a place that does international adoptions?

I don't know if this board is where I should be, but I hope it is okay if I spend some time here while we are considering adoption. :) Thank you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Introduction and a few questions

• Hi and welcome.

I have no idea how LDS church services works. Maybe someone else will have insight.

If you want to go outside of LDS, you have a host of options available to you. I would start with some basic internet research on agencies and getting a feel for what might work for you, as well as some feedback. I don't have a lot experience with international adoptions, but the posts here seem to indicate there are fewer agencies to choose from than for domestic, so it may be easier to find one that works for you.

• imageDr.Loretta:

Hi and welcome.

I have no idea how LDS church services works. Maybe someone else will have insight.

If you want to go outside of LDS, you have a host of options available to you. I would start with some basic internet research on agencies and getting a feel for what might work for you, as well as some feedback. I don't have a lot experience with international adoptions, but the posts here seem to indicate there are fewer agencies to choose from than for domestic, so it may be easier to find one that works for you.

Thank you so much!

• Loading the player...
  • Welcome!  And yes, you are in the right place.

RE: husbands... I think it is common for men to take a bit longer to get comfortable with adoption.  I know you know that it's essential that he is fully aboard the adventure before you start.  Perhaps you can seek out some local agencies that have open houses or workshops.  My husband really enjoyed learning more from the "professionals".

RE: LDS, I don't have any experience but many people choose to work with facilitators or agencies outside of their local community.  Also, I am working with two agencies that are in Utah that are not LDS....

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • imagesilliestbunny:

Welcome!  And yes, you are in the right place.

RE: husbands... I think it is common for men to take a bit longer to get comfortable with adoption.  I know you know that it's essential that he is fully aboard the adventure before you start.  Perhaps you can seek out some local agencies that have open houses or workshops.  My husband really enjoyed learning more from the "professionals".

RE: LDS, I don't have any experience but many people choose to work with facilitators or agencies outside of their local community.  Also, I am working with two agencies that are in Utah that are not LDS....

Thank you so much! I think DH will come around to it eventually. We are both very nervous about it. :) I will definately start doing some research on other agencies in Utah!

• imageLovedByHim316:

Hey Sky!

I recognize you from the TTC boards. Just wanted to say welcome and you're definitely welcome to lurk and check things out! There are so many wonderful and helpful women on this board. Good luck in your decision!

Thank you so much!

• Welcome!

DH took a little while to warm up to the idea too. For him, the idea of me being let down again was really hard. During our IF treatments the losses were devastating to me and even though he was sad, not being able to "fix" my hurt was worse for him.

We took that time to just go to a bunch of agencys information sessions and see what was out there. It was very helpful to see the similarities and differences and to learn what our options were with both domestic and international adoption.

We ended up using Christian Adoption Consultants and loved them. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Moved to Domestic Adoption 9/09 Matched 10/09 Sweet little Luke was born 12/9/09!
  • imageMrsKolasa:

Welcome!

DH took a little while to warm up to the idea too. For him, the idea of me being let down again was really hard. During our IF treatments the losses were devastating to me and even though he was sad, not being able to "fix" my hurt was worse for him.

We took that time to just go to a bunch of agencys information sessions and see what was out there. It was very helpful to see the similarities and differences and to learn what our options were with both domestic and international adoption.

We ended up using Christian Adoption Consultants and loved them. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

:) Thank you!

• Welcome!

My DH and I are adopting from Korea.  The agencies in Korea work with certain US agencies and there are only a couple of options with each state.  So we didn't have much of a choice about which agency we choose, but I think your domestic options are pretty wide open.  If you have any questions about Korean adoption feel free to ask me.

Best wishes on your journey!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"