Cloth Diapering
Options

Recommend Your Detergent!

I am making the switch to cloth and would LOVE to hear what detergents people use, and what you like about it.

Also, when you have a diaper that is still stained after a wash, what do you do to try and get it out?

Our first baby girl, Lucia Joy, joined us on April 1, 2010!

Re: Recommend Your Detergent!

• Options

I used Rocking Green once because so many people raved about it....but it left my diapers smelling less than fresh.  Part of it could be I suspect having hard water and just used the classic formula.  Anyways, switched to original powdered Tide and oxy clean and loving it!  The diapers come out so clean and fresh, even my DH was amazed.

As for stains.  The sun works wonders!  I usually have one or two diapers that come out of the wash a bit stained, but hanging out in the sun all day and they're gone.  I'm going to be bummed when winter sets in and I can't line dry as much!

photo 7ce353dd-36ff-42be-84c5-8548c1d4fa1cjpg
    BFP #1 11/28/09 ~ EDD 8/6/10 ~ DS Born 8/9/10
    BFP #2 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/8/14 ~ Natural MC 9/18/13 at 6 weeks, 6 days
    BFP#3 3/28/14 ~ EDD 12/7/14 ~ DD Born 11/21/14
    BFP#4 6/15/17 ~ EDD 2/20/18
  • Options

I love my Rockin Green.

I don't worry too much about stains, but you can always put the wet diapers in the sun and it should get most stains out.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for your input!

I live in Seattle, so we definitely don't see as much sun in the winter. Any other ideas?

Keep it coming! 

• Options

We use Country Save in our HE and love it.  RnG made our baby break out, and we haven't had any issues since we switched. 

We sun our diapers every time.  It removes stains, kills yeast and cuts down on electricity/gas use in our dryer.  A cloth diapering friend in Delaware told me that you can sun dry even in the winter b/c it is the UV rays that you want, not necessarily bright, full sunshine.  But, I have yet to try it, since this upcoming winter will be my baby's first winter.     

• Options
    Rockin' Green works SO well for us.  We've never used anything else!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I also use Rockin Green, although have used Tide original powder in past too when I forgot the RnG at home and was at my mom's.  Sunning helps the most with stains, although I've also used oxiclean free. 

• Options
    Allens
  • Options
    I wanted detergent I could get in a local store so I've been using Planet.  I have only found it at Fred Meyer so far but I like it.  And the sun is the only thing I've tried for stains, it gets out almost everything.  I live in Olympia so I'm not far from you.  As soon as we have a day w/o rain in the winter I'm hanging diapers out.  It doesn't work as well as in summer, but better than nothing.  Oh, and a lot of people swear by a soap called Charlies. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    BFP 5/12/13 mmc 6/14/13

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Cool, thanks everyone!

Food_chick, hello from Seattle! Well, just south of Seattle :) I will have to look at Fred Meyer for that and give it a try! I am kind of hoping to find one that I like that I don't have to purchase online.

• Options

I buy Country Save at Sprouts -- don't know if you have one around you.  I find this chart very helpful:

https://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Good luck and welcome to the world of cloth diapering!  

• Options

Another Seattle girl here.

I loooooooooooooooooove Thirsties pre-wash & superwash. I've tried a bunch and hands down it works the best. Spendy, but worth it.

We have soft water here in Seattle and a lot of the smaller makers like Rock n Green have mostly water softeners, so it may not be the best choice for you.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagejenny1980:

Another Seattle girl here.

I loooooooooooooooooove Thirsties pre-wash & superwash. I've tried a bunch and hands down it works the best. Spendy, but worth it.

We have soft water here in Seattle and a lot of the smaller makers like Rock n Green have mostly water softeners, so it may not be the best choice for you.

Hello there! I will have to look into that one. I was not aware that Thirsties made a detergent, very good to know!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"