Natural Birth
Options

Hospital WBAC ?'s

Well, I'm officially signed up for a hospital waterbirth for my VBAC, so I was hoping to get some advice/info/experiences (you name it).  I'm feeling great about my support team (midwives and doula), and DH has been way more than just "on board"!  So, questions...

How much do you feel/not feel the water helped you?

What questions should I be asking at this point? (if anything new)

Did you experience any pressure from the hospital/on-call OB during labor?

My only fears/concerns at this point are typical... the unknown (for me, that's coping with transition med free and pushing).  I never got the chance to get that far with DD, so I'm nervous.  TIA ladies!

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

Re: Hospital WBAC ?'s

• Options

I'm planning a VBAC myself, though I can only labor in the tub, not actually birth in it at the hospital we'll be at now. I used the tub with DS, and it was great - if he had been lined up better (he was posterior), my midwife was prepared to catch him while I was still in the tub, even. The tub *really* helped to get in it when things started getting tough (pretty much right around transition for me).

I would say to not get too worried about transition, since you do have the tub and a good support team - they should be able to help you move around and try out different things if it's getting hard.

As for any questions, maybe make sure they're willing to wait until 42 weeks? My hospital wants to do a repeat c-section at 41 weeks, but I don't know my exact due date anyway, and didn't go into labor with DS until about 41w2d, so I'm preparing myself to refuse that if I have to.  I think the other big thing would be to make sure your DH knows to be your advocate if you guys do get pressure or negative vibes from the OB on call.

good luck!!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    imagenosoup4u:

I'm planning a VBAC myself, though I can only labor in the tub, not actually birth in it at the hospital we'll be at now. I used the tub with DS, and it was great - if he had been lined up better (he was posterior), my midwife was prepared to catch him while I was still in the tub, even. The tub *really* helped to get in it when things started getting tough (pretty much right around transition for me).

I would say to not get too worried about transition, since you do have the tub and a good support team - they should be able to help you move around and try out different things if it's getting hard.

As for any questions, maybe make sure they're willing to wait until 42 weeks? My hospital wants to do a repeat c-section at 41 weeks, but I don't know my exact due date anyway, and didn't go into labor with DS until about 41w2d, so I'm preparing myself to refuse that if I have to.  I think the other big thing would be to make sure your DH knows to be your advocate if you guys do get pressure or negative vibes from the OB on call.

good luck!!

Thanks for your reply!  That's good to know about the tub helping with transition.  I've heard from others that labor goes into another level entirely at that point.

I asked my midwife yesterday about the 42 week limit, and she replied that they would not schedule a c/s.  She said they would try everything else (in terms of natural induction) and possibly a small amount of pitocin.  The only way they would do a c/s is if I went past 42w2d with no signs of onset of labor or if mine or baby's health warranted a c/s.  Since my water broke the night before DD's due date, she was born at 40 weeks exactly.  So hopefully if I go over, it won't be by too much.

DH is adamant about advocating for me, and our doula said she would gladly "slow things down for us" if the OB started pressuring us into a c/s. 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"