Breastfeeding

Why all of a sudden not like nursing?

I have never had feeding issues with LO before.  She is about 4 months, and has been going to daycare for a few weeks.  By the time that I get home from work, she has only been eating one short feed around 6:30 and then eats once before bed at about 8:30.  This last feeding has been a struggle every night for about the last week or so.  It's as though she just does not want to nurse.  She seems hungry (although, I also think she may be starting to teeth because she is constantly chewing on her hands and drooling a ton, etc.) but as soon as I get her close to my breast, she squirms, arches her back and gets very fussy.  If I try to pull her away, she continues to act as though she is hungry, but as soon as I get her close to my breast again, she gets all fussy again and turns her head away.  I do not want to force her to eat, but she is not getting much to eat in the evenings at all.  I am worried that since I have been back at work and she is getting bottles all day, she does not want the breast anymore.  This devastates me.  I don't know what to do about it.  I am also worried about my supply.  If she continues to not like to nurse when I am home, how am I ever going to be able to keep up enough supply to pump enough for her?  Any suggestions on what to try?  She just does not seem comfortable with it anymore, but I am not doing anything differently.   

Thankful to be home full time with my two little children, daughter 2 years and son 4 months. www.freedomathometeam.com/kkaz

Re: Why all of a sudden not like nursing?

• I have zero experience, but from what I've read here it sounds like a nursing strike. Check out the info here:

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

Also, how old is your LO? 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • dd has been doing the same thing for a few weeks now.
    she is super nosey and during the day its impossible to nurse.
    i began giving her bottles for the daytime feedings and now the nighttime feedings are getting impossible as well.  i think my supply is suffering or she has just gotten used to how easy it is to drink from a bottle....
    ive been in tears for days, im not much help but wanted you to know you arent alone!

• Loading the player...
  • DS has done the same thing before- few things that helped:

Stand up and walk around while your nursing. It can distract them enough to not fuss and eat. This usually works right away.

Use a paci to calm them down and than slip the paci out and nipple in.

I would sometimes have to force him because I knew he was hungry. I just held his head steady at the nipple until he took it.

And if they are hungry they will learn they have to eat. DONT offer a bottle or they will not try.  Eventually she'll get that she needs to nurse from you if she wants to eat. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"