Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Airports and flying with LO-

DD and I will be headed to the Chicago area at the end of October. My mom may end up coming along but I doubt it,so I'm planning on doing this solo. I will not buy a ticket for DD. Currently I plan to check 1 suitcase and carseat.

1. does the carseat count towards baggage?

2. Will I be able to have 2 carry-ons?  For instance will the diaper bag be considered a personal item, so i can take a duffel bag,too?

3. I will also take an umbrella stroller thru the gate, this isn't counted is it?

4. Will security make DD walk thru by herself or am I able to carry/push her in stroller? I know it makes sense for them to walk if they're capable but 23 month old surrounded by a billion strange people,i dont see it happening!

5.Doesn't it make sense to board last vs. first? I'm thinking less time in a confined space= happier baby/mama!

Re: Airports and flying with LO-

• Options

1. does the carseat count towards baggage? Depends on the airline

2. Will I be able to have 2 carry-ons? For instance will the diaper bag be considered a personal item, so i can take a duffel bag,too? I think this will be fine but be prepared, they might make you check one.

3. I will also take an umbrella stroller thru the gate, this isn't counted is it? No, but they will take this when you board.

4. Will security make DD walk thru by herself or am I able to carry/push her in stroller? I know it makes sense for them to walk if they're capable but 23 month old surrounded by a billion strange people,i dont see it happening! Stroller goes through the xray, you can carry DD, may have to have extra pat down.

5.Doesn't it make sense to board last vs. first? I'm thinking less time in a confined space= happier baby/mama!  When I travel with DH we  board last (because one can handle bags and one can handle baby) when by myself I board FIRST so I can safely set DD down in an empty seat and get bags situated.

• Options

1. does the carseat count towards baggage?  Yes since you are checking it.

2. Will I be able to have 2 carry-ons?  For instance will the diaper bag be considered a personal item, so i can take a duffel bag,too?  Yes you can have 2 carryons

3. I will also take an umbrella stroller thru the gate, this isn't counted is it?  No I think you are allowed the carseat and stroller that you can gate check.

4. Will security make DD walk thru by herself or am I able to carry/push her in stroller? I know it makes sense for them to walk if they're capable but 23 month old surrounded by a billion strange people,i dont see it happening!  She will probably have to walk thru by herself, or at least you can guide her thru.

5.Doesn't it make sense to board last vs. first? I'm thinking less time in a confined space= happier baby/mama!  I would board first.  But I think they have a specified time that the 'family' boards.

What airline are you flying.  I answered above how it was when I flew southwest but it could vary depending on the airline.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

1.  No, not on the major airlines.  

2.  Yes, you can have a diaper bag and duffle bag as long as one fits under the seat in front of you.

3.  The stroller does not count.  It will be tagged and gate checked planside.

4.  You can carry DD through.  You will have to fold the stroller and put it through the x ray machine.

5.  I always board last-less time for them to get antsy.  I let my kids run around in the gate area until the last possible minute.  DH usually gets on first with the bags.  I would still wait until last by myself.  You may run a risk of no overhead bin space left, but I would take that over a confined baby any day.  

• Options

1. Carseat does not usually count towards checked baggage. I know Delta allows two baby items (ex, car seat and stroller) to be checked without fees. 

2.  Depends on the airline. Most allow the diaper bag, your purse, and a carry-on (at least the couple airlines i have flown).

3. Usually not. Like I said before, most allow two baby items to be checked (and it includes gate checked) free of charge.

4. You can carry DD through. Stroller has to be put on belt to be x-rayed.

5. Whatever you are most comfortable with. I like to get settled before a lot of people get on.

• Options

I fly a lot with DD, so I hope I can help :)

1. does the carseat count towards baggage? I have never had to pay to check my carseat. But I like to gate check it, because they take better care of it.

2. Will I be able to have 2 carry-ons?  For instance will the diaper bag be considered a personal item, so i can take a duffel bag,too? Many Airlines are only allowing one carry on. Your diaper bag must fit on the floor in front of you and you carry on must fit in the over head.

3. I will also take an umbrella stroller thru the gate, this isn't counted is it? No, you can gate check it; no problem

4. Will security make DD walk thru by herself or am I able to carry/push her in stroller? I know it makes sense for them to walk if they're capable but 23 month old surrounded by a billion strange people,i dont see it happening! I have always carried DD.

5.Doesn't it make sense to board last vs. first? I'm thinking less time in a confined space= happier baby/mama! For me, it depends on my seat. If I am sitting in the aisle I will wait, but if I am next to the window I go first, that way I can get all set up before others come.

Good luck and just know that there will be issues while traveling with a child. Try not to worry too much what others are thinking and just remain calm. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Awesome,thanx all! I just thought to contact Airtran ( calling American Air,too) - DUH! Shoulda done that to begin with. The rep informed me that as long as I am traveling with a baby,the stroller/carseat does not get counted towards checked items and the diaper bag will be considered a personal item. Which leaves me with 1 carry-on and stroller. I really dont wanna gate check the carseat because its entirely TOO big for me to lug around,but would like to have it in case seats are available.....geesh!
  • Options

Somethings depend on the airline, here was my experience flying southwest with DS at almost 12months (I wasn't alone, but am comfortable w/ airtravel).

I was able to gate check the stroller (large jogger) and car seat.  I was told that I would have been able to take car seat on flight and let DS have his own seat if there were empty seats but there weren't. 

I carried DS through security, he could walk at that point but I didn't bring it up and they didn't say anything.  They did make me take off his "jacket" (a zip up hoodie).  I had tons of food and a bottle of water (that I didn't realize was in there), I was going to toss it and they said I didn't need to and could basically take whatever I wanted b/c of the baby.

You should be able to take the diaper bag and a "carry on" without a problem.

Boarding depends on the airline if you have an assigned seat then I would board last, if southwest then I would board with the A's if possible or family boarding to get your seat preference.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2 with PCOS since September 2009
    BFP, Femara 7.5mg, Ovidrel, IUI. Beta #1 17dpIUI -495 Beta #2 19dpIUI-1031
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lovebugs2012
    My Blog
  • Options

We travel all the time, and the only time we have had a car seat damaged was when we gate checked it. Buy a bag and check it with your luggage, it should not count towards your baggage and should be free.

You can carry your daughter through security, but the stroller will have to be folded up and go through the x-ray.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

1. Check w/your airline: we flew one carrier that allowed us to check-in one stroller and one travel crib in excess of our regular baggage allowance...even though DS didn't even have a ticket. (Granted, it was the most generous policy I've ever seen and we gate checked the stroller anyway, but it was nice to know in advance so we could plan accordingly.)

2. Generally, yes: a diaper bag plus another carry on item, if one carry on plus a personal item is the rule. Keep in mind though that if you're alone, less is more.

3. Gate check strollers aren't counted.

4. We've always been required to put our stroller through the xray on the conveyor belt. I typically carry DS in an Ergo, but even that has to be removed and xrayed. I carry him through the metal detector in my arms.

5. I've debated this myself. I think it boils down to what makes you feel more comfortable. If you fluster easily in a confined space with lots of strangers staring at you: board first so you have time and extra free space to get situated. Don't mind help from onlookers? Board last: there's always a grandma who wants to hold the baby or someone nearby who won't mind helping you stash your bags or holding LO while you get organized if you are comfortable with having help. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"