Breastfeeding

HELP- Screaming during feeding

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with my DS?  He is 6 weeks old and I exclusively pump for him.  Just recently in the last 5-6 days during his feedings he will get really upset and start thrashing and screaming/ crying.  It will stop after 5-10 seconds but repeat several times throughout the feeding.  He is not choking, there are no issues with the bottle nipple not working, he doesn't need to be burped...i'm not sure what is wrong with him.  Is this reflux?  He does spit up afterwards...sometimes a lot and sometimes just a little.  TIA!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: HELP- Screaming during feeding

• My DS does this sometimes too.  I've found that he just needs to burp, so I've gotten into the habit of halfway through his bottle burping him.  It seems to help.  I know you said he doesn't need to be burped, but sometimes it takes me about 5 min to get a burp out of DS and once I do he's fine eating again.  Have you tried burping him for longer?  Also, if my DS is really gassy he will scream and thrash until he passes the gas.  If it continues I would call the pedi.
    Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • DD did that too at one point, maybe around the same age as your DS.  The phase didn't last too long.  She was diagnosed with reflux at 2 months, and I don't remember her fussing during eating after she started her medication.  Maybe the reflux had something to do with it in our case.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My first thought was that he may need to be burped.  But - since you already visited that idea I would think it may be reflux.  I would put a call into the pedi and see what he thinks. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Does he only do it at certain times of day? 

My little guy gets upset starting around 3 pm and every feeding session until 10 pm.  He started at about 5 weeks and is now 4 months.  I was told by a lactation consultant it was because the supply starts to dwindle throughout the day (and my guy eats up to 15 times a day) and to keep switching sides during the feeding, use your hands to squeeze the breast (both hands holding all around for a few seconds) to express what's getting ready to letdown when he is starting to get upset and to try singing and rubbing his back to calm him and encourage him to stay on.  My LC also recommended trying to go off dairy for a couple weeks to see if that helped and there was intolerance issue; we had no change, though.

This may not be your issue, so I'd still recommend talking with pediatrician to make sure it isn't a more serious issue i.e. reflux, intolerance to cows milk you may be ingesting, etc.

Blessings.  Hope it gets better.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"