Attachment Parenting
Options

Getting desperate with sleep - please help

Hi ladies - not sure what to try next.  My one-year old wakes up all the time at night (last night he woke up 5 or 6 times).  He's so mobile now that we have decided against continuing to co-sleep as I am afraid he'll start playing and go right off the side of the bed (he's come very, very close a few times).  When we were co-sleeping, he still woke this much but I'd roll over and nurse him and go back to sleep.  He now seems so conditioned to nursing that not much else seems to make him happy (he tends to escalate with crying until he nurses, even if my husband goes into comfort him).

Does anyone have any good suggestions?  We're trying gradual changes (he no longer nurses to sleep when he goes down for the night) but nothing seems to work well yet.  Dr. Joy Gordon's technique made him even more upset and we just started Baby Whisperer's pick up/put down technique but I feel like I fundamentally disagree with her (even though the technique seems okay).   We tried NCSS a while back but haven't revisited it lately.  Just looking for the something new that would be the magic technique, I guess :)

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Getting desperate with sleep - please help

• Options

I was going to suggest baby whisperer as we've had a lot of success with her methods.

What aspect of baby whisperer do you disagree with, out of curiosity.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    It is not so much her technique that I have problems with, as they seem to be gentle and don't involve crying, but more her attitude.  She seems very anti-cosleeping (comments like "thank goodness Anita's parents hadn't made the big mistake of bringing her into their bed") and putting a lot of the blame of sleep problems on the parents' poor choices which always seemed compassionate ("do you rock your child to sleep?  nurse him when he wakes in the middle of the night?").  Maybe I am just defensive and perhaps I am to blame, but it seems like it was overly-focused on parents being too responsive and becoming a crutch and babies taking advantage of this. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I hadn't noticed that, but you're right now I've had it pointed out to me. I don't like her stance towards BF. It's not overtly negative, but she seems very pro formula.

I also LOATHE her writing style, her whole, "well luv" is so patronising 

Having said that I do like a lot of her methods and general ideas, and they have worked well for us. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options

I so agree with you on Baby Whisperer's tone.  I flipped through it at the library and couldn't figure out exactly why it grated on me.  Kellymom has a pretty scathing review of it from a BFing standpoint, but really most of it is her tone.

As we approached a year and M's sleep habits weren't really improving, 1 year was my internal point of getting more serious about it.  We started night weaning which I think helped.  Basically, each night at first waking I'd work to get him back down without nursing.  If he got hysterical we nursed, but for the most part he and I both learned he could go back to sleep without nursing.  Then I'd nurse all other wakings.  It took a while but eventually he stretched out that first bit of sleep to 7p-5a most nights.   Pick up/put down totally wouldn't work with M but rubbing his back and jiggling his butt did. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    What worked with DD1 was consistently having DH to go in and comfort. She was more likely to give in and go back to sleep for him than if I went in there. If I went in she would get hysterical unless I nursed her. It helped that I worked night shift a couple nights a week so my going in as a last resort wasn't an option. Hopefully that will work for DD2 cause I see us going down this same road since she is up quite frequently to nurse since we co-sleep.
    Child #1: 6 yo DD Child #2: 2yo DD
  • Options

Thanks ladies for your thoughts.  For the past two nights, I alternated nursing down for every other waking (in case he really was hungry).  I figured then he eventually learns not to need to nurse to sleep but each time I did that it'd take an hour of Pick up/Put down.  I even slept on his floor part of the night last night so we could hands, which helped.  Has anyone slept in their LO's room during this transition? Am I doing too much by nightweaning and ending co-sleeping simultaneously (I think I am either ridiculously stupid or I'm brilliant to time them together, not sure which)? 

We tried having my husband go in last night but that seems to escalate the crying so looks like it is just me for now (which is okay, my husband has to go to work in the morning and I can sleep in).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"