Cloth Diapering
Options

36 weeks with #1- Just ordered my BG 4.0's!

Hey ladies! I am 36 weeks pg with our first little boy...after TONS of research I just made my first CD purchase. Originally I was going to go with gdiapers because of the disposable inserts, but after calculating the cost, decided to go all out and get the BG 4.0's. I have read so many good reviews. I have ZERO experience with cloth diapering and everyone in my family and my friends all think I am insane.

I ordered 20 of the diapers, some Rock n green detergent, and a wahmies pail liner. I also went and bought a regular 13 gallon trash can from walmart to use as my pail. I am going to buy a wahmies regular size wet bag from a local store. and we are going to use babyganics organic dispoable wipes.

Any advice/suggestions you may have would be great! I am very excited but oh so nervous....DH thinks CDing will last a couple of weeks and I will switch to disposables but I am determined. Better for baby, the environment and our wallet :)

Re: 36 weeks with #1- Just ordered my BG 4.0's!

• Options

advice: give youself some time in the beginning. I prefer sposies for the first few weeks. Once you get settled, and baby is big enough for the BG's you can easily switch and never look back. For me it was when I ran out of sposies and had to go full on CD. 

I love my BG 3.0s. I used them for DS and are now using them for DD. I may even order a few 4.0's to see how they are =) GL to you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I suggest getting a second pail liner. I line the pail with the second one every time I wash diapers since I throw the bag in the was each time. I love the WAHMIES ones. I also suggest getting a wetbag for the diaper bag and one for daycare if you work. I have a medium sized planetwise wetbag for the diaper bag and a large sized planetwise one for daycare -- the large has a handle good for hanging it. Also, the large one is great for weekend trips to such places like the inlaws. I always have cloth wipes and a small squirt bottle with water in it in the diaper bag for out and about. I have found that cloth wipes are easier to use so they can be thrown into the same place. I just use Gerber wash cloths. Then I don't have to have throw away poopy wipes in the garbage -- it can just go right into the diaper pail with the diaper. I make my own laundry soap to save money and also use oxiclean in the loads to help wash out stains. Hope this helps.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Definitely get a second pail liner as PP said.

I would also recommend getting a couple other diapers to try to see if you have a preference for certain styles depending on the situation. I love FuzziBunz one size, but there are times when a bumGenius 4.0 with snaps or one size Blueberry pocket diapers fits the bill better.

We didn't CD DS until 14 months, so I'm not sure if you need to look into other inserts yet, like hemp and bamboo, that hold more liquid. It might be worth getting a couple to try.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'd also get some medium size wet bags for the dirty diapers when your out and about.  I saw some on Hippobargains today but no sure if that brand is good or not.  Planetwise makes decent ones also. 

Good luck. Sounds like you have everything covered. I also use BG pockets and smartipants. They are pretty cheap and work great! Good luck.

I also used gdiapers in the beginning and have been much happier since I switched to BG and smartipants.  I think you made a good choice

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am proud of you! I think you will love the BG 4.0's. Cloth diapering gets easier over time. I would recommend buying reusable wipes as it is very easy to toss them in the diaper pail along with the diaprs. Good luck!
  • Options
    Good luck! I would look at some infant prefolds and covers for the first month or two since most babies are too tiny for the BGs at first. We used 2 dozen orange Green Mountain Diapers and 4-5 Thirsties Duos wraps size one. We loved them, and we still use them for burp rags and doublers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"