School-Aged Children

Already PTA...really?

First melt down of the year because they took learning time to try and sell the idea of selling to my first grader. She is in tears because I told her we wont be selling anything. She just didn't understand why she couldn't sell the stuff. (we don't know anyone here to sell to!) I really wish they did not take learning time to promise these kids wonderful prizes if they sell stuff :(

[color=#FF0000]Mom to 5 girls 23,22,18,9,7 and one sweet Wonderboy almost 4[/color]
The Chaos of Six!

Re: Already PTA...really?

• That is annoying and super sad that schools have to do that these days.  I never remember doing anything like that at school! 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I totally agree. Seriously, what is it, like the first week of school?
    Effing crazy people.
  • Loading the player...
  • Eleanor has been in school 3 days and we got the fundraiser thing and a book order form. I don't mind buying books but the other stuff I don't even think family would by because its overpriced crap.

[color=#FF0000]Mom to 5 girls 23,22,18,9,7 and one sweet Wonderboy almost 4[/color]
    The Chaos of Six!
  • Wrapping paper, pizza,cookie dough and weird kitchen things.

The Chaos of Six!
  • We haven't had any fundraiser stuff come home yet.  Thank goodness.  I signed up for the ultimate PTA membership and my 3yos's preschool so that they wouldn't send home fundraisers stuff.  I think that the Elementary school does it too...I hope so.  I'll pay $50 just so I don't have to hit up friends and family with fundraiser crap.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was just thinking about the stupid fundraising stuff yesterday because we signed up for the PTA at Peak at Your Seat.  I'd rather give the school 50 dollars cash than make my kids sell stuff.  I don't want to do door to door, we have no nearby grandparents, and I hate to ask work people (although they've been doing it to me for ages - not that I ever really buy anything).  Hate.
  • Like pp I just paid the higher fee at the beginning of the year to be spared the pain of selling stuff. I hate that stuff.
    Kevin & Traci May 11, 2006 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • We have to deal with it all year long. The worst is when they do contests to see whose class can sell the most... geez, so if I don't buy anything from my kid then they are going to lose out on a pizza party... for that matter, I'll spend the money on the pizza party and not buy the stupid crap they have to sell! 

Our schools have actually been better with the products they sell. I bought a bunch of ornaments last year, and a couple of decorative holiday items. The middle school has a magazine sale, etc. It's not all wrapping paper and chocolate covered pretzels for us.  

• I realize that fundraising is a PITA, but as a former PTA board member, I have to say it is a necessary evil.  Over the past two years our PTA has purchased several smart boards, student agendas for every student from 2nd - 5th grade, put on science shows, animal shows, paid for student recognition items for the honor roll, computer programs to assist in teaching, field trips for kids who otherwise couldn't afford to go.  Your money is going to enrich your child's experience at school.  Its not about the pizza party, or the stupid little prizes the kids win, its about the bigger picture, what your PTA is going to be able to do with that money.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"