Natural Birth

Retroverted/tipped/tilted uterus - back labor?

We had our first appt. today (8w3d) and the nurse practioner said I have a retroverted uterus (also known as tipped or tilted uterus), so I most likely would experience painful back labor. I'm hoping to have a med-free birth, but the stories I've heard about back labor now have me worried. Anyone have experience with a med-free birth with a tipped uterus and/or back labor?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Retroverted/tipped/tilted uterus - back labor?

• I have a tilted uterus and didn't experience back labor.
  • That's bull.  I have one, too... but by about the 2nd tri, your uterus should "right" itself and will not affect the labor you have.
  • Loading the player...
  • My uterus was also retroverted up until about 10 or 11 weeks and then it tilted forward all by itself.  It was an extremely weird and unpleasant feeling for a couple of days but that's all.  It seems a little early to assume that your uterus will stay in that position.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • I have never been through labor, but I can tell you that my uterus righted itself in the first trimester.
  • imageFun2Dream:
    I have a tilted uterus and didn't experience back labor.

This!
  • At my first appointment I was also told that I had a tilted uterus.

I had a natural, med-free birth. I laboured for 4 hrs and pushed for 1/2 hr. I don't know if I had back labour or not... all I know is that I found my contractions very tolerable (at first I didn't even know I was in labour) until 1/2 hr before pushing (WOW. That's all I can say is WOW. lol.)

So my answer to your question is, yes, I've experienced a med-free birth with a tipped uterus. As for back labour, I don't know! My whole body ached.

• I didn't have a titled uterus but I did have back labour. It was my first pregnancy so I can't compare different contraction sensations to a non-back labour, but I was fine.

Yes it hurt, but I used the shower with my husband rubbing my back and directing hot water onto it and that made a huge difference.

I used gas when I was pushing, but that had nothing to do with my back labour and was always in my birth plan so it wasn't a matter of me wanting to go natural and then not being able to cope.

Good luck, you can totally do this!

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I have tilted and I had back labor, but I was told it was bc my DS's fist was up near his chin and his elbow was rubbing into my back. 

Best thing for my back labor was DH rubbing it...he knew just what pressure to put on it.  I remember thinking...maybe I said it, "If I could just have some tynelol for the back pain (it seriously just felt like a really bad back pain), I would be fine."  If I was home (like I wanted) I would have just had DH warm up my heat pack (rice bag) and then rubbed it. 

If you have a hospital birth, maybe you could bring one in your bag?

• Hrm. My DS tried to come out posterior, and I have a tilted uterus, and I never experienced back labor with either of those things. I have never heard of tilted uteri causing back labor - the only side effect I've heard of is that it takes longer for your uterus to "pop" out forward during pregnancy (and might be longer to hear a heartbeat with a doppler). I would take her statement with a huge rock of salt...
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Thank you so much for all your responses ladies! I did some Googling and was just coming up with a bunch of conflicting information, so I wasn't sure what to think. You've all made me feel so much better about everything! I really appreciate it!
  • There was an article in Mothering about Mayan Womb Massage and you can have it done after the 1st tri, it is supposed to correct the positioning and help with labor. I plan on having it done this time.
  • imagenosoup4u:
    Hrm. My DS tried to come out posterior, and I have a tilted uterus, and I never experienced back labor with either of those things. I have never heard of tilted uteri causing back labor - the only side effect I've heard of is that it takes longer for your uterus to "pop" out forward during pregnancy (and might be longer to hear a heartbeat with a doppler). I would take her statement with a huge rock of salt...

I also have a tilted uterus, but in my case I didn't know that until my 6 weeks post-partum checkup, so apparently mine righted itself very quickly after getting pregnant.  I also popped quickly (like by 4 months I was noticably pregnant) and this was my first.  I also had back labor, but that was because of the sunny-side up position my daughter was in, not the tilted uterus.  So yes, take it with a huge grain of salt.  And my mom had a tilted uterus and as far as I know, she never had back labor.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"