Alabama Babies
Options

When would you really worry?

So as I'm sure most of you have seen on facebook, James got a really bad bug at daycare.  He had a horrible chest/cold and developed an ear infection.  He was on the antibiotic from Tuesday-Friday morning with no problems.  Friday afternoon, he started not wanting to eat.  This turned into refusing almost all food since then.  We are lucky if we get 12-15 oz a day in him.  He's also had some vomiting and diarrhea. He's refusing pedialyte, gatorade, and yogurt almost all of the time.  I took him back to the pedi yesterday and James had lost a pound since last Tuesday. I'm calling the pedi back today because he's starting to get....not lethargic, but not as active.  I don't know if the doctor understood what I meant when I said he's not eating as much.  James purses his lips and will not open them for anything.  I'm afraid I'm going to have to start forcing it in with a medicine dropper.

Re: When would you really worry?

• Options

Is he also refusing baby food?

Honestly I'd be calling the pedi back today and telling him yeah he just won't eat.  But that might be the first time momma in me.  We have been going through the formula refusing thing for different reasons, but she also is on table foods and I still called the pedi because I was worried about nutrients.  So a flat out refusal to eat period would be a major concern especially because it's been more than a day or two and he was down a pound, and is refusing pedialyte and yogurt...I'd be worried about dehydration as well.  So this momma would be calling :)  

I really hope James starts feeling better soon!

• Options
    I'd probably call...who did you decide to go with for a pedi? I think I remember you choosing Greer. If so, I definitely think you should ok. Dr. Greer has told me more than once to call or share any concerns.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We see Matt Carter at the pediatric clinic now.  I've left them a message.  I think I've called them for 4 straight days.  When we took him in yesterday, I was hoping his ear was still infected and that's what was bothering him, but its clearing up.  Dr. Carter thinks its the virus lingering or that the antibiotic was too strong for his tummy (that's why he wanted us to start yogurt).  They told us to hold off solids until it had been a day since he vomited...so we may be able to try some this morning since its been 24 hours. But James is so tiny to begin with...it just worries me to no end that he lost a pound.
  • Options
    I posted this on the 6-9 board, too and someone said I should take him to the ER to get fluids.
  • Options
    :( ((hugs)) i'm sorry girl. yea i would take him to the doc. but have you tried to feed him via feeding syringe? maybe you could try that before taking him to the ER to see if he takes fluids that way.
  • Options
    I would call and if the answer wasn't sufficient I would make a trip to the ER. I'm a Worry Wart and couldn't rest until I knew my baby was on the path to recovery.  I pray that James gets to feeling better soon.
  • Options

How are his diapers?  if he isn't peeing every 8 hours it's a sign of dehydration.

If he's peeing still - then keep at it - try the syringe.  But sometimes if you're sick, you're sick and dont feel like eating, ya know?  It's hard though :(  

I hope he gets better soon!

• Options
    Hey, I saw FB you were going to the Ped Clinic again. We see Dr. Matt Carter for LO and Dr. Greer for us. I think it's good you are going back. I usually just stay persistent with a doctor's office until I feel like the issues are resolved.
  • Options
    imagesdkrlm:

How are his diapers?  if he isn't peeing every 8 hours it's a sign of dehydration.

If he's peeing still - then keep at it - try the syringe.  But sometimes if you're sick, you're sick and dont feel like eating, ya know?  It's hard though :(  

I hope he gets better soon!

I agree.  Also, when Allie had a stomach bug for 9 days last spring, she wouldn't drink any flavor of gatorade, pedialyte, etc.  The syringe actually worked.  They gave us red gatorade at the after hour clinic, and she would drink it by us squirting it in, but she wouldn't take it any other way. 

Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"