Northern California Babies
Options

Bf and dairy elim

For any of those that cut dairy out of your diet for bf'ing, what cheese substitute did you use ?

I have read that if a child has a dairy allergy they may have a soy or goat milks allergy. Cam when tested was allergic to dairy, egg and soy.

Soooo do you think I'm safe to have feta cheese and goats cheddar cheese ? Just sooooo hard to cook for the whole family without adding cheese in to stuff.........

any blogs or cookbook reccomendations ?

thanks !

Re: Bf and dairy elim

• Options

Soy cheese actually has some trace milk protein in it! I always warn people of that when they go dairy free. I mean it's a small amount, but can make a difference. 

Goat cheese may be ok. Would probably have to be a trial and error issue.

You can make cashew cheese too. I don't have the recipe but it's probably not hard to find. I think that might be your best bet. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I cut out cheese completely, it was so hard, but I did it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If his problem is casein, then he likely won't tolerate goat, sheep or buffalo cheese.

If the problem is lactose, you could do yogurt cheese

You can make cheese from any raw nut.

• Options

R, what alternatives did you use for cheese ?

T, good to know. Its been 2 weeks since I cut out dairy and I see an improvement. Cam was able to have goat cheese and yogurt and he was ok with it............... guess I won't do any cheese alternatives for another few weeks, then introduce goats to see if it affects him ?

Any idea how long it will take for it to affect Jasp after I eat it ! :)  days, weeks ?

• Options
    I would guess hours actually. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My own experience with reintroducing dairy was that is took a few days to notice the results, but then once I tipped the scale, it only took a tiny amount to see an effect within 20 minutes.  That was my body, not the nursling.  I'd say plan for anywhere from 20 minutes after the nursing session to 3 days.
  • Options

All my vegan friends love this cheese alternative: https://www.daiyafoods.com/

Its new and supposed to taste very close to dairy cheese. you can get it at whole foods 

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options
    We cut out all dairy and soy for the past six months... I usually notice a reaction in DS 24-48 hours after I eat something bad, and continue to see results for a couple days. Ditto on the Daiya cheese. It didn't taste too great on its own, but when its cooked into something it tastes good. As for a place to find recipes, I like the website: godairyfree.org It has some good recipes, and they also say whether they are soy, nut, egg, etc free so you can find ones that work for you. Good luck! :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"