D.C. Area Babies

what did you do if LO's 1st bday was on a weekday?

J's birthday is on Wednesday and I'm not sure if I want to take the day off and stay home with him, work from home (what I usually do) and maybe drop off late/pick up early/visit for lunch or something, or just have a usual day. On some level I know that he has no concept and doesn't care at all, but on another it just seems sad to say "I love you! I'm so glad you were born . . . see you after work." You know?

What did you do? Any thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: what did you do if LO's 1st bday was on a weekday?

• I'm guessing I'll end up being the "seeing you after work" parent unless 1) either my parents or MIL come to town early before the birthday party or 2) we do something at daycare because DD shares a birthday with the other baby there.
    imageimageimage
  • Both years, DS got a cupcake for dessert.  For his 3rd birthday, we're going to start giving him his present from us on his actual birthday rather than at his party.
  • Loading the player...
  • we took the day off and went to PumpkinVille and spent the whole day with her, it was great, even if she was too young for most of the attractions. Not sure what we'll do for her 2nd b-day as she's in DC now
  • We're doing a usual day plus family dinner. I want his first bite of cake to be at his birthday party (which is after his b-day) but perhaps a present would be appropriate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Both the girls: business as usual on the actual birthdays, celebrating on party day.  I'm hoarding leave to have another baby, so there is no "take the day off to just have a fun day" for us.
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • imageArtslvr:
    Both the girls: business as usual on the actual birthdays, celebrating on party day.  I'm hoarding leave to have another baby, so there is no "take the day off to just have a fun day" for us.

That's what we did. It helped that MIL took a ton of pictures of him through the day and posted them on FB, so it was like "seeing" him all day.

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We took some pictures and gave him a cupcake on his birthday.  At his party he got to open presents and had cake.  We didn't actually give him a birthday present or we would have let him open it on his actual birthday.  Since he was too young to know it didn't matter.  In the future we'll probably try to do something more special on the actual day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • well, my son's birth didn't go the way i'd hoped, so i took the day off and spent it with him doing things that were mostly therapeutic for me!

however, i am also a very big birthday person, so i probably would have taken the day off anyway. i never work on my own birthday. i won't pull my child out of school once they start elementary, but i will take the day off until then to spend with them.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD's birthday was Friday and I worked from home.  We got her a little cupcake on Friday, nothing big and her party was Saturday.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH and I were just discussing this. DS's bday is on a Tuesday this year, with his party the Saturday before. I don't think I'll take off this year, days are just too hard to come by and I never know when he'll be sick...I'd rather be the one to be home with him then for all the cuddles! I will probably leave work earlier than usual and we'll probably give him some sort of special dinner with just us.

Then I will proceed to cry about how big my little peanut has gotten! 

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We ended up having another snowstorm the night before/morning of DS's birthday, so DH and I were able to stay home, guilt-free. Smile  I had already planned to just have dinner and a cake for him at home, and we gave him his presents from us.  It was really low-key but so nice to get to enjoy the special day with him.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • They had a party for her at daycare.  Then, after work, I think we took her out for Chinese food?  (yes, I know, she was a one year old... LOL...)
    NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"