Working Moms

BF moms who work during the day...

How much milk do you send with LO? My LO is 3 months and around 14 pounds. We are sending 3 - 4.5 ounce bottles, which seems to be fine but all he does is eat when we get home and once or twice in the night so its making me think maybe he's not getting enough during the day. Tell me what you do.... TIA!

Re: BF moms who work during the day...

• imagejohn316a:
    How much milk do you send with LO? My LO is 3 months and around 14 pounds. We are sending 3 - 4.5 ounce bottles, which seems to be fine but all he does is eat when we get home and once or twice in the night so its making me think maybe he's not getting enough during the day. Tell me what you do.... TIA!

That sounds like about what DD would eat at that age.  Honestly, if it were me, I would want LO to have as little milk as possible to satisfy them at daycare.  Having him nurse at home will be better for your supply.  Also, I think for him to only wake up once or twice a night at 3 months is AWESOME

• At 3 months (weight- 16.5 lbs), DS took 4- 3oz bottles. Then at about 4 months old he was taking 4-4oz bottles. He would (and still does, ugh) get up once a night to eat. From 3-5 months, DS was eating between 7-9 times day. So yeah, he was still eating a lot when we were home together!

HTH!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is a few days shy of turning 4 months.  We send four 5oz bottles to daycare each day.  She is there from about 7:30 to 4:30 and only takes 3 of the bottles. 

As soon as we get home, she'll BF around 5:30 (for what seems like forever) and then she gets a bottle of formula around 7:00pm.  After that it is off to sleep until about 4:30am when she'll wake up and nurse.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It's called reverse cycling. Baby's generally prefer being cozy with mom and nursing (however they may "strike" b/c they have to work at the boob and they don't at the bottle). So when mom is gone, it is common for a baby to consume less and "bulk" up when mom is available. My advice is DO NOT send more to day care, just go with the nursing as desired outside of work hours.
  • How much are you pumping?  Are you getting lots extra that you are freezing?  Or barely pumping enough to cover those bottles?

I EBF and pumped past 1 year, DS was always a big eater though and was definitely drinking more at 3 months.  But I was pumping about the same amount that he drank- so I knew that it was working out.

ETA:  DS was still getting up to eat during the middle of the night as well.  I do not think that is an indicator that they aren't getting enough during the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"