North Carolina Babies

NBR: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (book series)

Has anyone else read any of these? I just finished the first one. While I liked it, I thought it was pretty dark (or at least a lot darker than my usual reads). 

Any thoughts (w/o spoilers) on the rest of the books? 

Re: NBR: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (book series)

• I really liked the second one more than the first. It really got into why lisabeth is the way she is. I haven't read the 3rd.

I enjoyed the books, they are dark but I think the author gives way to much mundane details. The book could be half the length if he didn't give so much boring details!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • There may be spoilers below.

I read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I haven't read the others yet, but I plan to. I thought the beginning of the book was pretty slow, but I realize all that set up was necessary. Sure, parts of it were pretty dark, but I was expecting that since the reader is set up to believe the main character is looking into a murder. At times I thought the author's graphic descriptions of incest and torture were a bit much, but it certainly explains why Harriett was so terrified.

Catching up on sports news...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I can see how they're not for everyone, but I'm in love with them! It is definitely dark, but it's also making an important point about "men who hate women". I'm halfway through the third and really enjoying the writing style & action... sad there are only 3!

• imagemurph04:

At times I thought the author's graphic descriptions of incest and torture were a bit much

That is definitely what got to me! And the part with Lisbeth's guardian.

• I loved the first two and can't wait to read the third! I agree there is a lot of "extra" detail and wonder if that is a trait of European writers. The second book will get more into Lisbeth's background while still bringing in Mikael and a couple of other characters.

I read an article a couple of years ago suggesting that many of the characters and events were actually based on real people in Sweden. Allegedly, the author's murder was arranged by a family that was so offended by the similarities to their own lives that they decided he had to die.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Girl P - 11/15/10
  • I've seen the movie. I had no idea it was a book series. Definitely had some disturbing parts, but was a good flick.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know I'm late on this, but thought I'd put in my 2 cents anyway.

I LOVE these books. Yes, they are dark & different & sometimes hard to take, but isn't life? I found the books a little thick in the detail, but in retrospect, I respect the author more for that. He created a really rich, multi layered story. I think he demands more from us as readers than most authors do...and it's not always pretty & I like that. 

I've read all 3 books & seen the first 2 movies & personally, I'm only very sad that he didn't live long enough to continue the series.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"