North Carolina Babies

What is/was your little one into around 22 months?

Hey ladies-  I know this question is BROAD but I'm about to be a first time mom to a sweet (and gorgeous!) little boy when we bring him home from Ethiopia later this fall.  He's about 20 months now and we will likely bring him home in November.  I have pictures and video of him and he always has a ball in his hands and is running around- but that's about all I see of what he's "into."  He'll need to catch up language wise- English will be his third language in about a year so we'll be reading a lot.  I have several friends with kids around- but none really his age currently so I'm just curious.  Also, if you stay home do you have any sort of routine at this age?  I'll be home for a while and we will be keeping our days quite routine to develop a good sense of security and letting him learn to know "what's next" since he'll be going through such a big change. 

Thanks for your help- now and in the future because I know as we get closer I am going to be asking a lot of questions!  Hope to get to know you ladies and maybe gtg with the kiddos sometime in the future!

Renae

Re: What is/was your little one into around 22 months?

• My little boy has been really into cars (Hot Wheels/Matchbox), trains (Thomas), and of course any type of sports balls nearby.  

I'm a SAHM and our general routine is something similar to this...Get up, hang out, play, or watch TV, then eat breakfast. After breakfast we get dressed and usually do something out of the house (run errands, go to the Y, playdate, library, etc). If we don't have anywhere to go, then we take a walk around the neighborhood or go to the park. It's important for us to get out of the house almost every day. Then we come home for lunch, watch Yo Gabba Gabba to wind down (from 1-1:30), then nap. When he gets up from his nap we watch a little TV & snuggle until he wakes up good (because he can be GRUMPY), then we play/go outside. Have dinner, playtime with Daddy, bath & bed.

Even though I said "we" play, I usually let him play by himself and I do things like puzzles & books with him. Sometimes I'll start playing with him to get him going, then let him continue without me so I can do some chores or play on the computer (hehe!). I think it is VERY important for kids to be able to play alone. 

I also include him in lots of my daily chores...putting clothes in the dryer, "dusting" with the swiffer, etc. 

I know your situation will be different since you're adopting and he'll need to be near you to feel secure, but that's just what we do. Good luck & congrats!! 

• My DS is only 15 months right now so I don't have a lot to add to pp's remarks, but I did want to say congratulations! How wonderful for you and your family. Are you in the Triangle? If so DS and I are always up for a playdate. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • At 21 months, we're loving puzzles. we're also still playing with several shape sorters and coloring books [get washable crayons!]

Enjoy your newest addition!

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• First off congrats!!!  The pastor of the new church we are attending is adopting a 5 year old boy from Ethiopia this week!

Will is 20 months and loves cars, trucks, trains and drums!  These are some of his faves - he also LOVES reading and books.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not there yet, and we have a girl.  But I think cars, trucks, trains, balls, shape sorters, books are all good toys for his age. 

I am so excited for you.  And we definately need to gtg with the kids!!!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have nothing constructive to say - just WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!
  • How exciting! Congratulations!

My DD is almost 20 months, and she loves books, balls, coloring, stickers, Fisher Price Little People, and wooden puzzles. We also have one of those tunnels that they crawl through, and she LOVES it!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• I have nothing to add, with a child way younger than 22 months, but wanted to say congrats! That's so exciting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"