Breastfeeding
Options

Latch Check

Today LO and I successfully made it through all of our feedings without a nipple shield.  My concern now is that he may have a crummy latch from using it for so long.  Are there things that I should be on the look out for (other than sore nips)?  I'd like to try to watch for them and correct, rather than find out in a few days when my nips want to fall off.

Re: Latch Check

• Options

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/latch-resources.html

Kellymom is a very helpful and thorough site about BF.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • Options

We used a nipple shield for the first 3 months. One night I got tired of trying to find it in the dark and DS nursed side-lying without it. Within a few days he refused to nurse with it during the day. His latch was not good and it was a bit uncomfortable, there were tears of frustration on both sides, but after 3 days he had re-learned how to latch and he is still EBF to this day!

Hang in there and keep doing it. I was at the point where I was looking up LLL meetings in my area and freaking out because it was a weekend and I was afraid I would have to start using formula, but we just needed a few days to work on it and by Monday everything was good.

ETA - DS's top lip has never rolled outward like you see in all the latch pictures. It used to make me crazy because I thought there was something wrong with his latch but its the same to this day and other than those first few days when he was working it out I've never had any pain from nursing.

Gabriel :: Born on his due date - 9/19/09 :: 9lb 8oz, 21"Birth Storysig4 copyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"