Blended Families
Options

intro and question, re: telling SK's about new baby

hi there! dh and i are expecting our first baby together (although this is our 5th pg, it's the only one that hasn't ended in an early loss). dh and i have been together for 8 years and married for 2. my SS's are 12 and 9 so i have known them for the better part of their lives and the youngest will not remember a time without me in his life. we plan to tell them tomorrow about the new baby since i had a great u/s this morning and this is the most pg i have ever been. they do not know about any of the other pg's nor do they know we were trying. at one point we talked to them about what they thought of having another sibling and the younger said he would love it and the older said "whatever." i'm worried that this will be too much for the older one (he just started at a new middle school, his mom's bf just moved in and his mom is getting married next year). we need to tell them soon becuase frankly i am starting to get a little belly! i get along pretty well with BM and it isn't a terribly rocky divorce (dh and BM get together to discipline when it's something big). any suggestions on breaking the news to the kids? im so excited to tell them just a little worried about how they will react.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: intro and question, re: telling SK's about new baby

• Options

Just wanted to respond with a huge congrats on your pregnancy.  I almost didn't open this post because frankly this question gets asked way to often around this board, 'how to tell the kids' (prob why there are not many replies).  However I am glad I did because this is obviously a very exciting time for you so again congrats.

My advice is, keep it positive... 'guys we have some very exciting news for you... you are going to be big brothers... your dad and I are thrilled etc. Try to include them going forward in picking names (at least let them believe they have some say lol), decorating the nursery and such.

Do not ask them if they are OK with it or if they are upset as it will just implant the thought that this is a negative event in their lives.

Obviously if you notice the older one acting out or generally down in himself have you DH take him out for some alone time and reassure him he is loved etc.  Actually it might be a good idea to have your DH take them out for some male bonding and alone time anyhow.

Good luck, sending you best wishes for a h&h 9 months.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"