Baby Showers
Options

Co-ed shower in October... Costumes?

Hello ladies

My sis is hosting a co-ed baby shower for DH and I in October and is struggling with ideas.  She and my mom throw an annual "Fall Party" in October with a bonfire, chili cook-off, caramel apples, etc. so those ideas won't work.  She has mentioned making it a costume party and suggesting guests dress up as famous parents.  What do you think about this?  Any other ideas?   

Thank you!

Kelly 

New mom to a beautiful baby girl, born 11-14-10. BF for first 6 weeks, currently trying to relactate. http://relactationjourney.blogspot.com/

Re: Co-ed shower in October... Costumes?

• Options

Why wouldn't caramel apples, bonfire and chili-cook off work? I think that soudns like a fun party, whether it's a co-ed baby shower or just a regular party. I say go with it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Don't do it..... that's just my opinion. Maybe you could have each guest bring a photo of themselves as a lil one in a halloween costume and you could guess who's who. But a costume turns into added expense for guests.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagetmac1022:

Why wouldn't caramel apples, bonfire and chili-cook off work? I think that soudns like a fun party, whether it's a co-ed baby shower or just a regular party. I say go with it.

They don't want to do those things because thats what they are doing for a social party they are throwing a little later in the month. 

New mom to a beautiful baby girl, born 11-14-10. BF for first 6 weeks, currently trying to relactate. http://relactationjourney.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    imageMrs.Davisson:
    imagetmac1022:

They don't want to do those things because thats what they are doing for a social party they are throwing a little later in the month. 

Sure, maybe don't do ALL of it, but really... having caramel apples and a pot of chili isn't going to "ruin" their party.

That being said- do NOT do a "costume" shower. I'd be highly annoyed to be expected to come in a costume along w/ having to buy a gift, etc. 

I will say - I do know a friend who went to a costume wedding, but w/ their family, it totally worked and everyone got into it.  But that was THAT family and the bride and groom knew everyone would be into it. 

I strongly believe they are the exception. HUGE exception.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    imageEastCoastBride:
    imageMrs.Davisson:
    imagetmac1022:

Sure, maybe don't do ALL of it, but really... having caramel apples and a pot of chili isn't going to "ruin" their party.

That being said- do NOT do a "costume" shower. I'd be highly annoyed to be expected to come in a costume along w/ having to buy a gift, etc. 

I will say - I do know a friend who went to a costume wedding, but w/ their family, it totally worked and everyone got into it.  But that was THAT family and the bride and groom knew everyone would be into it. 

I strongly believe they are the exception. HUGE exception.

This is what I've been leaning towards as well... I'm not sure that everyone would get into it.  

Anybody have a different idea for a co-ed shower? 

• Options
    I'm throwing a co-ed shower for my sister in october, we are going with a "New Baby Prince" Theme.  We got a tiara and crown for my sis and BIL and are making them the King and Queen.  We've also got crowns for all the Guests.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    There is no way my DH would go in costume, and I'd be questionable. Just do the fall party.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    How about brisket with a bunch of sides? Just don't do traditional girly food since there will be men there- we did a coed shower with chili, fritos, some easy apps, sangria and a keg, no games. It was more like a party. The parents to be did open gifts together and whoever wanted to (mostly women) watched. Use a fall theme for your decor too so it won't be too girly. And no costumes- that would stress me out!
  • Options
    I think that both ideas work great!  It sounds like a costume carnival baby shower! fun fun fun!  Can I come???
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    No to the costume for a shower.  It's an added hassle and expense. The majority of adults don't have a costume laying around the house, so they'd have to go out and buy one or think one up.
  • Options
    I think you'll have a lot of people not participating.  Once I was an adult I've only worn a costume 4-5 times and they were either ON Halloween or specifically for a costume party very close to Halloween.  I would not wear one for a baby shower.  Sorry.
  • Options
    Costumes seem like more of a party theme than a baby shower theme.  Just because its in October doesn't mean the theme has to relate to the season.  You could pick an animal that the couple likes as a decor theme or go off of how they're decorating thier nursery.  Or, just pick colors that the mom and dad like and go from there!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrs.Davisson:
    imagetmac1022:

Are all the same people being invited to the shower AND this social party?  If not, I say go ahead with the caramel apples, chili and bonfire!!  And if they are all going to both...then change the menu a bit.  But definitely NO to the guests wearing costumes!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

id HATE to go to a costume shower. in fact id only go to one if it was my very best friend or a sibling or a cousin.....

id have to buy a costume, and a present? for your shower? no thanks.

• Options

Definitely no to the costumes, for the same reasons PPs stated.

I like the idea of everyone bringing a childhood Halloween photo and guests having to pick which person is which.  The guest with the most right answers could win a prize.

You could also do pumpkin-carving!  Provide a whole bunch of smallish pumpkins and have people carve "baby face" pumpkins.  Guests could vote on the best/funniest one and that guest would win a prize... You'd want to mention the pumpkin carving in the invite, so people are prepared to get their hands dirty... Just a thought!

Could you include an outing to a haunted house or a corn maze as part of the shower (hosts would pick up the tab)?

• Options

I'd say no to the guest wearing costumes a well.....might be to costly for some people and they may not go to your shower. I dont see why you cant incorporate a few of the "fall party" ideas into your shower.....? They are clearly going to be two different celebrations. I am also having my shower in October, the weekend of Halloween which happens to our fav time year. We are having a co-ed baby shower that will clearly be all about baby but "lightly" halloween themed. Guest are encouraged NOT to dress up. A fe games will be co-ed but strictly baby themed.  If you google baby shower themes or 'fall baby shower" you will find a ton of sites that are dedicated to themed showers and get loads of ideas! best of luck!

• Options

I for sure would not come to any shower that was a costume party. It is a baby shower not a halloween party

Just do a little pumpkin theme. You are due in Nov. It still fits. Lots of food ideas that doesn't have to be chili and caramel apples.

Do fall foods.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Meh...that's not my scene.  Don't make people dress up...other people like myself would be thinking, "Hmmmm dress up like a celebrity parent....no thank you"
  • Options
    imagelaurel22:

Definitely no to the costumes, for the same reasons PPs stated.

I like the idea of everyone bringing a childhood Halloween photo and guests having to pick which person is which.  The guest with the most right answers could win a prize.

You could also do pumpkin-carving!  Provide a whole bunch of smallish pumpkins and have people carve "baby face" pumpkins.  Guests could vote on the best/funniest one and that guest would win a prize... You'd want to mention the pumpkin carving in the invite, so people are prepared to get their hands dirty... Just a thought!

Could you include an outing to a haunted house or a corn maze as part of the shower (hosts would pick up the tab)?

I LOVE the pumpkin idea!!  Thank you! 

• Options

I would have a blast at a costume baby shower but I know I'm probably not the majority.  I just love Halloween and costume parties and things like that.

Unless the couples coming to your baby shower are the same couples coming to your parent's fall party I would just do the traditional fall things.  I think carmel apples dressed up to look like a baby or decorated baby-ish (pink or blue, etc) would be cute and yummy favors.  You can have invites that say "expecting a little pumpkin" or something like that.  Blah blah blah. you get the idea.  Autumn parties are amazing and I love the feel of the whole season.

• Options

I would not go to nor would I wear a costume to a baby shower. ever.  sorry.

PP have good ideas, especially the little pumpkin theme. 

Instead of carving pumpkins (which is messy), I would give guests colored markers and let them draw faces on the pumpkins.   Have the Guest of Honor leave the room.  Let guests have 5-10 min to draw faces / decorate their pumpkins.  Then put all pumpkins in the center of the room on a table.  Guest of Honor returns and picks out her favorite(s).  Those people get a little prize.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I wouldn't like the costume idea.

The co-ed baby showers that I have been to have been more like a general party where people bring gifts. For example, I went to one recently that was a big outdoor bbq. It was great! We didn't play any baby shower games and just relaxed and talked with friends. The guest of honor didn't even open gifts at the shower, because there were sooo many guests there. It would have taken forever.

So, just make it a general party. I like the pumpkin theme.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"