Baby Names
Options

???

Micheal for a GIRL??? I met this about 22yo female named Micheal today.  I wonder if her mom secretly wanted a boy....

Re: ???

• Options

Do you mean Michael? No, I've never heard of that for a girl, although Michal is the name of a biblical queen.

J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
  • Options
    imageTakaya:

Micheal for a GIRL??? I met this about 22yo female named Micheal today.  I wonder if her mom secretly wanted a boy....

Yes, I believe Michael in the Bible was female. I've known a couple of girls named Michael and one Mical. I don't think it's that weird. At least it's not a made up sounding name.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

That is VERY sad, for the poor girl's sake.

If they liked the sound of Michael, why did they not just add an a, to make it Michaela?

• Options
    imageJessBoss:

That is VERY sad, for the poor girl's sake.

If they liked the sound of Michael, why did they not just add an a, to make it Michaela?

Because then it wouldn't be pronounced the same way. 

OP... I have met a couple of girl Michaels.  They didn't have a complex growing up so I think it's okay.  I personally wouldn't do it but I don't see anything wrong with it. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Michaela is a beautiful name for a girl. Michael for a girl... very sad. I had a babysitter as a kid named Michael - who was a girl. I always thought it was weird.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    I went to hs with a girl named Michael, and while I would not name my girl that I never thought "oh poor girl."  There are so many more names that are popular right now that make me think "oh poor girl." 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageHappyMrsK:
    imageTakaya:

Yes, I believe Michael in the Bible was female. I've known a couple of girls named Michael and one Mical. I don't think it's that weird. At least it's not a made up sounding name.

Michael in the Bible is an archangel. Male. (well, actually, sexless, but every named angel in the Bible is considered male - Gabriel, Michael, Lucifer)

Michal in the Bible was a princess, the daughter of King Saul, married to King David. Female.

I'm pretty sure Michal is pronounced differently from Michael (mick-AHL), but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    It's my MN... I love it for girls.
    M/C 04-1999 Missed M/C 04-20-2005 M/C 11-09-2006 DD - Sable Ren
  • Options

To me, I just feel that it's a very 'boy' name. And I would feel bad for her. Because she will most likely be correcting people her whole life (well, before they meet her that is), that she is a girl.

• Options

I've actually met three or four women named Michael over the course of several years. I think there are quite a few parents that have tried to make it 'unisex' over the years, but it's vast popularity in the 60s-80s made that virtually impossible.

And, for the record, I don't like it for a girl. It's a boys' name and it should stay that way.

• Options
    Yes sorry I did mean Michael.
  • Options
    imagealliejo725:
    imageHappyMrsK:
    imageTakaya:

Michael in the Bible is an archangel. Male. (well, actually, sexless, but every named angel in the Bible is considered male - Gabriel, Michael, Lucifer)

Michal in the Bible was a princess, the daughter of King Saul, married to King David. Female.

I'm pretty sure Michal is pronounced differently from Michael (mick-AHL), but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

I'm not religious, so to me it's all the same :)

Nevertheless, I don't think it's a weird name for a girl since I've known a few and it seemed to fit them really well.

• Options
    I think Michelle is a much better choice for a girl than Michael. Probably because my name is Michelle and had I been a boy, I would have been Michael. (Real original mom and dad, thanks)
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"