Working Moms

Any work from home mommas? Please share your schedule!

I've worked from home for 10years so I had my routine down pat. I'm trying to keep my LO home with me for as long as I can wing it. So far, he naps on a regular enough schedule and for enough time that I'm still able to get work done. Our house isn't big enough to have a nanny come in and help, we'd all be on top of each other so I know at some point I'll need to find child care outside the home. I've mastered typing with one hand while holding him with my other arm :-) but I'd love any other tips from multitasking mommas!

Re: Any work from home mommas? Please share your schedule!

• I have worked from home for almost 4 years, but have always had childcrare. Are you asking for tips from people that did not have childcare or are you asking about morning/afternoon/evening routines?
  • I worked from home but I couldn't do it with DD here.  For 2 weeks before coming back full time I worked 20 hours and it was exhausting trying to do both.  That said, I use a boppy to nurse and was literally able to nurse while typing over DD.  She would fall asleep on the boppy and I kept on working.  Was great until I wanted to get up.  DD had some of the best naps that way, too! 

Once you find you need child care you might consider working longer days and taking a day off to be able to continue to enjoy LO.  That is our plan and I think that will be nice.  GL!

• Loading the player...
  • I am not sure if your work from home job is part time, but I never considered working at home full time, and caring for my child.  I don't think that is truly WFH.

If you're doing part time, then like you mentioned, multi-tasking and working while your child naps or has down time would be the best suggestion I could offer.

• I do work full time, from home while caring for my LO. I get my 8hrs in, just not all at once..I do have to put hours in at night after he goes down but so far I'm managing. I'll have to make other plans once he starts crawling and being awake for more of the day. Thanks for all your input...I'm back to my daily juggling act :-)
  • At that age you can also put her down for some tummy time on a play mat near you with maybe some music playing. Also, the baby bjorn and walking around the house if you have to make a phone call.
  • imageMBandBud:

I worked from home but I couldn't do it with DD here.  For 2 weeks before coming back full time I worked 20 hours and it was exhausting trying to do both.  That said, I use a boppy to nurse and was literally able to nurse while typing over DD.  She would fall asleep on the boppy and I kept on working.  Was great until I wanted to get up.  DD had some of the best naps that way, too! 

Once you find you need child care you might consider working longer days and taking a day off to be able to continue to enjoy LO.  That is our plan and I think that will be nice.  GL!

This is exactly what I did. I was working 20hrs/wk. I have a table that I could slide right up over DD and just keep working which was great because she was a marathon nurser.

I kept her home with me until she was 9mo BUT I was only working half-time, I have very flexible hours and can work anytime basically, and DD was a non-mobile baby even at 9mo (didn't crawl or scoot or anything until 11.5mo). If I was trying to do the same with my DS, there's no way I could have done it even at 8mo because he was way too active.

Basically I'd wake up around 5 when DD woke up, nurse her back to sleep and get 1-2 hours done before 7am. Then start working again whenever she was ready to nurse or sleep. If I had stuff to do that I could start/stop easily (as opposed to stuff that takes longer blocks of concentration and effort), I would work while she was on the playmat at my feet.

At 9mo she started going to MDO 3x/wk (church run care that is about 5 hours a day, typically something like 9am-2pm). With 15 hours of childcare I was able to squeeze in another 5 hours of work when DD was with me.

- Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"