North Carolina Babies
Options

Does anyone else find this odd?

We just got an email from our program manager stating that from now on we are required to do 25 hours per fiscal year of customer service (non-work related volunteer stuff), off the clock, as part of our job. To me, I find it rather ballsy (for lack of a better word) that they can tell us what to do with our free, non-working time. And this was not in our job description. Am I being petty or would anyone else be turned off by this?
image Connor Reeves - July 4, 2007 Naomi Raye - January 26, 2011

Re: Does anyone else find this odd?

• Options
    I think that's a little messed up...I could see if it was not required, but was optional as paid time off. We get 24 hrs community service leave where I work, and get paid for it if we use it. We can use it to participate in school/daycare events, wrapping presents during the holidays, reading at the public library, etc.
  • Options

That's ridiculous to require you to do something off-the-clock, especially if it was not stipulated when you took that job.

I know that only works out to 30min/week, but I still find is strange to suddenly REQUIRE you to do that. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's pretty ballsy to me!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Can they REALLY REQUIRE you to do something off the clock?  I mean, thats like saying "you HAVE to go to bed at 10 p.m. every night to keep working here". How would they document it?  I'd be checking into if they can LEGALLY require it and if they can, can they really require it after you've already an employee?
  • Options
    That seems crazy.  I worked in HR for 7+ years and this seems insane.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageerin_aaronsbaby:
    I think that's a little messed up...I could see if it was not required, but was optional as paid time off. We get 24 hrs community service leave where I work, and get paid for it if we use it. We can use it to participate in school/daycare events, wrapping presents during the holidays, reading at the public library, etc.

my old job had this too.  maybe this is what they meant but worded it horribly wrong.  i don't see how they could force you to do this off the clock nor how they would have proof that you did/didn't do it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That is totally insane.  There's no way I'd be doing that each year, and like pp mentioned, how in the world will they ever be able to prove you did/didn't do it?
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"