Multiples
Options

I know, I know...it gets easier, right??

Seriously some days I wonder how I still have my sanity. The babies still aren't going longer than 4 or 5 hours between feedings at night and as of recently, DD has decided she just doesn't like to eat. Yeah, we practically have to force feed her because she will scream and cry as she's eating. I was thinking it had to do with the nipple flow, so bumped them up to level 2 nipples today (she would start to eat just fine, then after her first burp pretty much throw a hissy fit!) I don't know if she just needs to get used to them or if it depends on who is feeding her/time of day, etc. Example: Last night as DH was attempting to feed her she freaked out, so I took over and after 15 min of crying in my arms she finally ate to my satisfaction. Then she ate fine for me this morning but for my mom and for DH she threw a fit. Then just this last feeding (9:30pm/she had been sleeping) she ate almost 4oz with no problem. Not to mention she barely eats 3 ounces during her fits, whereas her brother can down 5oz in just as much time. Should I be concerned about her not eating as much?! I just can't win!

Someone please remind me when this gets 'fun' and 'rewarding'. Most days I feel like pulling my hair out! (The first 3 months are 'hell' right??)

End vent.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: I know, I know...it gets easier, right??

• Options
    I remember a post I made almost identical to this one.  Months 2 and 3 were awful for us.  Things were SO MUCH better by 5 months.  Hang in there.  I promise it does get better!

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    KMB7KMB7 member

Yes it does get easier..... but other challenges arise. Don't worry about comparing the oz that each baby is eating. I had to keep reminding myself (I wouldn't have anything to compare them to if I only had one baby).

Have you mentioned the fussing/crying at feedings to your dr? The only reason I ask is because both of my babies had reflux. That is one of the main reasons why we had screaming at feedings.

The first three months are the hardest. Hang in there and try to enjoy all of the fun moments. I really miss them being so little that they were sleeping in my arms. Now they tell me "no", backtalk and beat eachother up. =) But they also get excited to see me and say "I love you" randomly.

TTC since 7/06, found out about PCOS on 8/31/06 Dec.2007~ Metformin 1500mg, prenatals, Femara 2.5mg)(cd3-7), Gonal F 100iu(cd5-?) and Ovidrel with TI. DH~ antibiotics to improve motility (cd1-10)
    Beta #1 15dpo 298, Beta #2 18dpo 1048
    Family Blog
    Infertility Blog
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It does get easier. I promise. It may take a while though. Things started getting better for us around 5 months too.

Going 4-5 hours between feedings is great for their age. My girls are almost 8 months and still wake 4-5 hours a night to eat. They were up every 3 hours until about 6 months. 

Ditto pp about talking to the pedi. What your describing sounds like GERD (acid reflux). Its incredibly painful for the baby and they often cry when eating. Its definitely worth a call about. My DD has it and the screaming got 100% better when we started zantac.

Hang in there! 

• Options

(((hugs))) It DEFINITELY gets better. 

The first few months are the hardest by far. Things eased up at around 3 months, which was when they started STTN (we're lucky that we have good sleepers).

The screaming may or may not be reflux. Definitely talk to your pedi about it because there's a good chance that's what it is, but you may just have a baby like one of mine - Dash went through a weird phase for about 2 weeks of having a screaming fit every.single.time. We tried EVERYTHING (including changing bottle nipples and ruling out reflux), and finally discovered that if he was distracted by something, he'd eat just fine. So we started facing him toward a TV during feedings - NOT my first choice, but it worked really well at distracting him. It was like he just didn't want to have to spend time eating - he'd rather be doing other stuff. And then one day he just stopped and was fine again, and we no longer have to show him the TV or try anything else to distract him. So weird!

• Options
    Oh my goodness...I feel for you so much.  I remember those days.  Well, more like I don't remember much about those days b/c I was so sleep deprived.  Like pp said, I think it's amazing that they're going 4-5 hours between feedings at their age.  I don't think we had that until they were 5 months old.  While I did not deal with reflux during feedings, I did have to elevate them both after feedings and would put them in their boppy pillows and then back into their cribs.  While new challenges do arise, nothing compares to those first three months, so I always feel like I can handle whatever else happens.  I remember thinking I wasn't going to make it through what DH calls "baby bootcamp", but I did and so will you.  You're close...3 months is the magic number.  It doesn't become so easy you could do it in your sleep, but it does let up a little bit and you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was going to suggest reflux.  once DS got on the right meds he was so much happier and easeir to deal with.
  • Options
    I, too, immediately thought of reflux.  Couldn't hurt to talk to your pedi.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Has she been looked at for reflux? That sounds like some of the symptoms of reflux. My son has reflux which is the only reason that sticks out to me. He doesn't have problems eating but he has some of the other symptoms.

Other than that I totally remember feeling that way and feeling that there was no way I was ever going to be able to manage two of them myself and do it well. It does get better and I think you are just a week or two away from that. We didn't start having improvement over night until week 12 though and even still my son wakes quite often. I'm still looking forward to improvement there. Good luck to you - it does get better but I know when people said that to me I was looking for a specific time! The tough part is that all babies are different and go on their own pace...but you are getting close I think! 

• Options
    I agree with talking to your dr about the feeding issues. It sounds very similar to what we dealt with with Will (and both of our boys had reflux). The first 4.5 months were definitely the hardest for us. It got somewhat better for us at 2m when I started following HSHHC and the boys actually started taking fairly regular, consistent naps and then MUCH better at 4.5m when they started STTN. Sure, there have been plenty of challenges since then, but they are easier to deal with when you're getting decent sleep! Fragmented sleep and sleep deprivation can really mess you up. Hang in there, mama!
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    I'm right there with you.  We can do it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"