High-Risk Pregnancy

2nd time moms with GD?

I had GD with my first pregnancy two years ago. Diagnosed at about 28 weeks or so. Managed well with just diet until the very end and went on a low dose of glyburide for the last few weeks, induced on my due date and had a 9 lb baby.

I'm wondering when you took your test the second time around? And which test you took? My doc wants me to take the 1 hr this week at 16+ weeks. If I fail, I am tempted to just say forget the 3 hr and go on the diet and start testing my BS numbers 4X per day like last time. Not even sure if that's allowed?

Just wanted to see if you moms who have had GD twice (or more!) had any info for me on when you were tested the second time around and how the process went. ANy insight/info is appreciated! Not looking forward to having this again and I just know it's going to happen!  

Re: 2nd time moms with GD?

• I'm 33 weeks with my second and had GD with my first as well. This time around, when I had my first appt. I asked about checking blood sugars. My OB requested I begin checking randomly between appts. and try to follow the GD diet somewhat closely (though indulging my cravings for a while!) At each appt. I would share my numbers and get the thumbs up that I could keep going on doing what I was doing.

They also gave me the option of NOT taking the GTT (if I had taken it it would have been around 22 weeks), but rather begin checking numbers regularly once I hit around 22 weeks. I chose that. No point taking the test, because my numbers were telling me what I already figured - I have GD again and I really didn't want to have to go through taking the 1-hour and then the 3-hour tests again. Ick. So, I've been following the diet strictly since about 22 weeks and my numbers have been okay - ups and downs like anyone, but my weight gain has been minimal - I've only gained 9 lbs. and 8 of that was in the first trimester. My OBs are satisfied I'm following the diet and baby is measuring right on schedule.

Good luck with whatever happens, and congrats on the pregnancy!

• My doctor wanted me to have my GD test at 12 weeks this pregnancy but my hypermeisis is so bad I can't make it through the test so he said 18 weeks we will try again but to treat myself as if I have it meaning watch my carbs and sugar. It's hard though because all I can keep down is soup and toast!
    mr & mrs || 11.18.06
    DD born 07.06.09 || DS born 01.24.11 || Bean 3.0 due 11.16.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Well I have a really weird situation. I had it with DS - controlled it with diet the whole time.  I randomly tested my sugars throughout the whole pregnancy.  They were running really high (much worse than with DS) so I called and requested the test at 25 weeks.  I failed the one hour and we scheduled an appointment with the high risk doctor. I took the 3 hour the day before I went to the high risk - and I passed.  No one is sure how that happened.  So, my OB and I are treating it like I have it - testing my sugar and following the diet, but I can't be monitored by the high risk doctor because I technically don't have it.  I wish I had just failed the dang thing.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • I had it with DS1 and was tested this time at 11 or 12 weeks.  if i had passed they would have done the screening again at 27 weeks.  I failed miserably and they are treating me as a pre-gestational diabetic (like i had diabetes before BFP) - this time i am on meds (glyburide) but following the same diet as before - and my numbers are ok - they may up my meds, but we'll see.  everything is pretty much the same as last time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"