Special Needs
Options

warning...glass half empty VENT

So I've been feeling.....resentful, jealous, angry, frustrated, annoyed.....you get the pic....

I'm just going through a phase I think. DS is doing really well.  He is generally healthy, but his developmental delays (Ds) are really bringing me down.  He is growing into his brothers hand-me-downs, and I am remembering DS#1 running around in these clothes, and DS #2 is not even sitting on his own yet.  I know he'll get there, but it's just really getting to me. 

I want to say to every parent of a typical infant, "do you know how lucky you are to not have to deal with a child w/ a disability?  Not to have to think about all the extra 'stuff' that I have to think about?"  I know that won't make anything better, but that's just where I am. 

We had a long summer (I'm a teacher) of dr's appt's and ongoing therapies, which really wore me out.  I go back to school today, and there are 5 other mom's coming off maternity leave as well.  I am not looking forward to hearing about all the things those babies can do, that my little man can't.  Again, I know we'll get there, I just wish...well, I really don't even know what I wish.....
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: warning...glass half empty VENT

• Options

I just wanted to say HUGS.

imageimage
    Max 4-08-08 and Michael 2-03-91 (19 years olds)
    image Both boys were born w/ hirschsprung's disease, you find yourself facing this dx, please feel free to ask me any questions.
  • Options
    I know the feeling well... I try my damndest to stay positive, but some days it just gets overwhelming... hope you find your way to other side soon.
    A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost. ~Marion C. Garrett
    image7_0002 A ~ 2.7.06 S ~ 9.2.07
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Oooh, I remember coming back from mat leave and having to face all the questions of: "How old is she?  Oh, that's when they get fun and they start doing [insert developmental skill DD didn't have yet here].  You must be having such a great time!"  *sigh* Yeah, it's been a blast doing therapy several times a week, cardio appointments, endo appointments, pedi appointments, waking up about twice as much as your typical infant, etc.... 

Hang in there - I hope your day goes better than you're expecting!

• Options

I hear you, hon! It's like, "I can handle that he is different, but could you not rub it in my face?" You are still learning to accept it and not ready to share it but you are forced to each time someone says, "So is he crawling?"

• Options

Thanks for your support.  Just venting made me feel better...and my day went well.   Just part of the emotional roller coaster.  I try to be as positive as I can as much as I can, but sometimes it gets the best of me.

Thanks again!

• Options

I could have written this myself!! In fact, I did write a similar post yesterday, but it did not post for some reason and I just didn't have the mental energy to rewrite it! 

I am a teacher as well and my first official day back was Friday. There were 4 teachers at my school that had kiddos at the time that I had my son. It is so hard to hear that they are running around now and my kid can only sit up. I mean for him it is great because he had such a rough start, but it sucks to hear all the things these other kiddos are doing. Some days are easier than others...just wish it didn't all hit me at once!

So, you aren't the only one. Our kiddos will get there...but for now we need to rejoice in their own small accomplishments. It is easier said than done when the comparisons are right in your face.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"