Two Under 2
Options

2u2 and different genders?

I just found out I'm pregnant with a girl. As terrible as it sounds, I was hoping for another boy because I thought they would be able to play with each other better.

For moms with 2u2 of different genders, tell me about your experiences.

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 2u2 and different genders?

• Options

My kids are still young, DS is only 3 months old, so they don't really play yet. That being said, DD plays with boy toys just as much as her girl toys and all of her "friends" are boys...she actually doesn't really get along with the 1 little girl her age.

She also plays really well with her cousins that are all boys (ages 8, 6, 3, and 6 months).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    dont have an experiences yet but I was hoping the same, but now that my DD is here, I would not change it. I was the baby and I have an older brother and I remember the trouble he and I got into so I cannot imgaine 2 boys now!! LOL GL to ya!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My kids are closer to 2 1/2 years apart and the oldest is a boy, baby is a girl. My little boy LOVES his baby sister and she already appears to idolize him - she just stares at him whenever he is around and smiles at him the most. I have never worried for one minute that they wouldnt' be great friends and playmates. I think all siblings who are close in age will do their fair share of fighting but that is normal, so I think gender doesn't make too much difference.
  • Options

I don't have any experience yet (my little boy isn't due until Nov) but I am in the same boat as you.

I am not too worried about it.  I have lots of friends who are great pals with siblings of the opposite gender.  One in particular who is exactly 16 months older than her brother.  They are now in their 30s and the best of friends (and always have been close).

My only concern (and it is somewhat in jest) is slumber parties when they are older.  I'm sure my son will LOOOVE when my daughter invites all her little girlfriends over.  Yikes. Indifferent 

• Options

My 2u2 are now 5 1/2 and 4 (DD#1 and DS) and they are the best of friends!  While they have their usual squabbles of siblings, they play very well together and look out for each other. 

They even share a room right now, at their request. 

DD#1 11/7/04 DS#1 6/24/06 Chemical Pregnancy 6/08 DD#2 1/28/10 after secondary infertility, Clomid, & acupuncture missed m/c 6/2010 at 8 weeks (baby stopped growing @ 5.5) DS born sleeping 1/13/2011 due to cord accident at 22 weeks. DD#3 3/10/2012
  • Options

My oldest DD and DS are 27 months apart.  They LOVE to play together.  They are absolutely best friends.  DS and my youngest DD are close in age, but DD is still a bit too young to play with him.  He is extra protective of her though.

I have a brother who is 19 months older than me and we were and are very close.

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Options

DS and DD are 17 months apart and they play really well together. They also take care of each other when we are in groups of other children. DD loves to play cars, trucks, trains, ball, etc with DS. DS also will play with her baby dolls and they both love to play with their kitchen. They have your typical sibling fights over toys sometimes but most of the time they play great together.

DS has loved his baby sister from day 1 and she has always adored him. The first time she laughed was because DS was playing peek-a-boo with her. It was the most precious thing in the world. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our two really play well together.  They are two years apart and have a very close relationship, it puts me in awe sometimes, they rarely fight and their personalities balance each other.   We are done, so I'm happy our family of four works so well.
  • Options
    imagesweetheart18:

I don't have any experience yet (my little boy isn't due until Nov) but I am in the same boat as you.

I am not too worried about it.  I have lots of friends who are great pals with siblings of the opposite gender.  One in particular who is exactly 16 months older than her brother.  They are now in their 30s and the best of friends (and always have been close).

My only concern (and it is somewhat in jest) is slumber parties when they are older.  I'm sure my son will LOOOVE when my daughter invites all her little girlfriends over.  Yikes. Indifferent 

We had a similar concern! I can already see my daughter dating my son's friends in high school and them getting in big fights. lol.

Thank you so much for the feedback everyone. I am so excited. Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had secretly kind of hoped for a boy the second time because I wanted DS to have a brother, but now, I can't imagine him without his "bubbis" (baby + sister = bubbis in DS's mind!)  He is so protective of her and sweet to her and I see that continuing as they grow up and are just a grade apart in school - I have no doubt DS will keep an eye out for DD!  Plus, I've seen the way two boy toddlers play together and am hopeful DD will be calmer and slow DS down a bit, too!  ;)

Plus, I'm not 100% sure we'll have a 3rd (I think we will, but just  not totally sure) and I love that we have one of each sex and will have the experience of raising a son AND a daughter. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"