Preemies
Options

Congestion Suggestion?

DD is so congested! She had an ear infection but finished her last dose of antibiotic last Monday and now she is miserable! I've been suctioning her nose and using the humidifier and we tried the Johnson's Vapor bath stuff but still congested. It's gotten to the point where she throws up every morning.

I read somewhere that you can put Vick's babyrub on their feet at night? Has anyone tried this? Or saline drops?

Re: Congestion Suggestion?

• Options
    We use saline drops. They help quite a bit with the congestion. Also, if you do a couple drops of saline before use use the bulb syringe, you will get more out.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket
  • Options

This exactly! DD has been stuffy for the last 2 weeks and this has helped a lot!

imagelexismom1008:
    We use saline drops. They help quite a bit with the congestion. Also, if you do a couple drops of saline before use use the bulb syringe, you will get more out.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've been doing the saline drops before suctioning, too. Unfortunately there's just not a lot you can do when they're this little. We do have a Vicks humidifier that has a little slot for these vapor smelly pads...not sure what they're called exactly, but we got them at CVS and they have eucalyptus, chamomile, etc and makes the room smell soothing. 
  • Options
    We've been doing the saline drops before suctioning, too. Unfortunately there's just not a lot you can do when they're this little. We do have a Vicks humidifier that has a little slot for these vapor smelly pads...not sure what they're called exactly, but we got them at CVS and they have eucalyptus, chamomile, etc and makes the room smell soothing. I like to think it helps. 
  • Options

Ditto Saline drops. Put a few drops in each nostril, let sit a few minutes then use bulb syringe. Also do 1-2 drops after suctioning and leave it in to help loosen things up. Keep the humidifier going too.

Be careful about suctioning too much, It can also make nasal passages swell and make it worse.

• Options

You can also try good old steam.  Put your shower on with the water really hot and close the bathroom door.  Once the bathroom gets nice and steamy go in and turn the water off.  Then take LO into the bathroom for a bit.  The steam will help open up their airways. 

When DD was very congested I used saline drops, then suctioned out her nose.  Then I put a little dab of Vics Vap-o-Rup under her nose.  That's what my mom used to do to us.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"