Preemies

afraid my baby is going to be too early, 32weeks preterm labor

Hi everyone, I just wanted to know if anyone can tell me what I should be expecting if my baby girl is born at 32 weeks. I am dilated 1.5cm on bed rest with preterm labor and my 3rd FFN test was positive...im really worried and I just want to know what I should be doing to prepare for my baby if she is going to be early and what im going to be facing, I really dont want to go into this blind but how do you prepare yourself for this??? Please any advice, Thank you!!

Re: afraid my baby is going to be too early, 32weeks preterm labor

• i went into preterm labor @ 30wk was given the shot for my LO's lungs...well @ exactly 32wks i was told to be ready in 20minutes for a c/s. now all babies of course are different. i had my LO @ a level 3 NICU hospital and my daughter was very sick. her lungs weren't developed well she can iv's everywhere and bruised everywhere bc she was extremely anemic. i do NOT want to scare you i'm sure this is and i'm so sorry. i recommend you staying on your back for every second you possibly can and RELAX...yes easier said then done and your LO maybe in alot healtier shape. my LO was in the NICU for 21 days and now is healthy as healthy can be. NEVER be afraid to ask ?s to nicu nurses and dr's.
  • My cousin just had her ds at 32 weeks on Aug 1st- she wasn't due until Sept 22.  He was in an incubator for about 3 weeks and then came home.  Luckily, he was breathing on his own the whole time.  After the 1st week she started breastfeeding for about 10 minutes- the big thing for him to be able to come home was keeping his temperature up on his own and being able to breastfeed/bottle feed.  He was just under 5 pounds at birth and her other two kids were born 2 weeks early and weighed seven pounds. He lost weight but before coming home had just gotten up to 6 pounds.  He is now doing great!  Good luck to you!!!!!  
  • Loading the player...
  • I just had my baby boy at 32w4d. I went into pre-term labor without warning and did not have time to get the steroid shot to improve lung development. My son was in the NICU for 31 days. First issue was breathing he was on a ventilator for about 48 hours, then on oxygen for another 5 days. During that time he also was working on keeping his temp up and getting rid of jaundice. Second issue was feeding....it took him about a week to get the hang of bottle feeding. Last issue was brady/apnea spells....he was in the NICU for these alone for about a week and a half. Finally released on day 31 after he had no brady/apnea spells for 5 days. He is now home and doing fantastic. No one could have prepared me for this experience. It was one of the most difficult experiences of my life. I can honestly say though for me, now that he is home, it is like a bad dream from the past. It did not seem like that at the time but now that it is over....it is behind us. Hope this helps.
    Books Read in 2013: 1/50 image
  • I had my DD at 33w 4day not due to PTL, but pre-e. I would definitely try and get the steriod shot for your LO. Like another poster said, try and relax and stay calm. If your hospital has a NICU, ask to meet with the staff, and ask lots of questions.DD was 4lbs 10.5 oz and 18.5 inches long at birth. She came out screaming, but needed help with the CPAP.She spent 4 days on the CPAP, a few days under the bili lights and a few more days on IV, due to the mag. salf. that I was given. She spent a total of 12 days in the NICU. She needed to feed/grow and keep her temperature up. Lots of prayers to you and your LO and please keep us posted.

• I just had my DS 2 weeks ago at 31 weeks 5 days due to pre-e and will echo what the PPs have said. There is no way to prepare, but I am thankful that I had the bump and knew that there are other people going through something similar with great after stories. I got the steriod shot and my DS only needed the CPAP for the first 1.5 days and is breathing on his own now. Try to relax (very hard I know) and know that you're not alone. Prayers and HUGS for you and your family.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You've already heard good advice (get the steroid shots, try to rest/relax, ask to tour the NICU) as well as common NICU stays in a 32 weeker's situation (usually about 5 weeks - most leave around full term). One thing I wanted to add is that girls tend to do better than boys, so you have that going for you. First concerns will be breathing, second will be maintaining temp and avoid apneas and bradys, and finally will be feeding (babies don't really understand how to suck until they get closer to full term usually).

The day you have to be discharged from the hospital without your baby will be one of the hardest days of your life. I was a wreck. Try to familiarize yourself as much as possible with the NICU and the typical schedule (usually every 3 hrs they'll do diaper changes, take temp, reposition baby - you can help with all of this and just need to speak up if they don't ask you if you want to do it). It's a very tough thing to go through, but you don't have to do it alone. Come here for advice or to vent anytime. Everyone's really nice. GL!

• Thank you thank you thank you everyone!!! I feel a lot better!! I did get the steroid shots at 31 weeks. You all have been such a help, Thank you so much I will make sure I take the bedrest seriously and listen to the doctors!! Thank you again everyone I really feel so much better!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"