Attachment Parenting
Options

Reviews? Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn

Is this book any good? Any other gentle discipline book recs? I just read Positive Parenting Birth - 3 years. Looking for others.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Reviews? Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn

• Options
    aciaacia member

Honestly, the book sort of blew my mind. It was the first parenting book I read as a parent, and it really challenged every notion about parenting that I had. I knew I wanted to discipline "gently," but this book really makes you take a look at the whole idea of discipline. I was definitely "sold" on many of his ideas (he backs everything up with research), but I have no idea how realistic it would be to implement his philosophy in real life.

The one main criticism I had with the book is that it was lacking in real life examples. I'm a really concrete thinker, and some case studies or examples would have helped me understand and solidify his ideas, and help me see how I might put his philosophy into practice. The other thing is that it can be somewhat repetitive at times - but I read it in one sitting, so maybe if you break it up a bit the repetition will be helpful.

It's also a pretty easy read, which is good when you're sleep deprived and short on time.

Definitely give it a read - and then come back and talk to me about it, because I'd love to hear what someone else thinks about it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    haven't read that book but I am usually on board with most of Alfie's writings (I'm a teacher and "The Homework Myth" is kind of my Bible!).
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageacia:

Honestly, the book sort of blew my mind. It was the first parenting book I read as a parent, and it really challenged every notion about parenting that I had. I knew I wanted to discipline "gently," but this book really makes you take a look at the whole idea of discipline. I was definitely "sold" on many of his ideas (he backs everything up with research), but I have no idea how realistic it would be to implement his philosophy in real life.

The one main criticism I had with the book is that it was lacking in real life examples. I'm a really concrete thinker, and some case studies or examples would have helped me understand and solidify his ideas, and help me see how I might put his philosophy into practice. The other thing is that it can be somewhat repetitive at times - but I read it in one sitting, so maybe if you break it up a bit the repetition will be helpful.

It's also a pretty easy read, which is good when you're sleep deprived and short on time.

Definitely give it a read - and then come back and talk to me about it, because I'd love to hear what someone else thinks about it!

I'll agree with basically every word of this, but I think at times, it's not an easy read at all. I don't think he's a good writer, so he can be hard to follow. The real-life examples were really hard on me when I was reading it as a parent of an infant. It just didn't totally make sense to me, since I hadn't really dealt with the truly challenging parts of parenthood yet. His book gave me the confidence to parent in my own way, really. I don't follow his method (really, he doesn't have a method, he just challenges you to think before you parent) completely, but he gave me so much to think about. 

• Options
    A mom in my AP group just posted a link to Naomi Aldort's writings: https://www.naomialdort.com/articles8.html.  I cried when I read some of the toddler ones, and now I'm going to go pick up her book when I get a chance.  I really felt a lot of connection to what she talks about.  I don't agree with everything she says, but so much of it rings so true for me.
  • Options

I got the DVD to start since it takes me forever and a day to read a book these days but I think I will get the book eventually for more detail.

I find his presentation of the research really enlightening. It is definitely hard work to put this kind of parenting into practice because it doesn't feel very natural. I would also appreciate more concrete examples.

To summarize, his main idea is thinking about what you want for your child in the long term and is your short term/day to day parenting working towards supporting that. Rewards and punishments are two sides of the same coin; rewards can be just as damaging. Praise effort, not outcomes. Instead of spending effort on controlling a kid's behavior, work with kids to come up with solutions to problems. This goes hand in hand with respecting them as individuals. I think his ideas and conclusions all fit very well within AP. He's all about the kid trusting parents and finding security in the relationship, especially when things aren't going well, behavior is poor, etc.

So, yeah, I don't even know if any of that makes sense. You can see it's not any quick fix type of parenting advice where there's a formula to follow. I'm really into learning more about it, though. I love that it's evidence based and not a bunch of opinions disguised as facts.

• Options
    I went ahead & ordered this last night. Looks like it should be an interesting read! Thanks mamas! I'll check out the other recs here too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"