Nurseries and Baby Gear

When do you use your sling/carrier?

Trying to look ahead & plan and boy... there are SO many different slings/carriers/etc!

I'm trying to get a feel for what would best suit our lifestyle, so I'm curious... those who've used them before, WHEN exactly do use yours most?? Just around the house? When running errands? Day trips? Walks? 

Re: When do you use your sling/carrier?

• I have a Zolowear, and I would reccommend it to anyone.  It is an african style sling that is very comfortable to wear and use.  When my LO was and LO I used it all the time, in the house, out of the house, walks, daytrips, errands, etc.  I never did master nursing her in, but I did a few times (we had to use a nipple shield and she was a wiggle worm when she nursed).  I also still use it today, she loves riding mommy and we use it when I teach my high school kids (I am a choreographer for colorguard)  also I use it when she wants to be held at home and I am trying to do things, also at the store or if we go out, it helps because she is a little heavier so using my arms hurts, but the sling is light weight and can fold in my diaperbag/purse and it is easy to use.  She isn't quite big enough to ride on my back with it yet, but soon ennough.  Hope that helps.  You can find them online.  I would reccommend it more than the Moby because it grows with the baby into toddler stage very well, also it is light weight and can fold up unlike some carriers like a babybjorn, and the ergo.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think carriers are really a very personal thing and it's so hard to decide before your baby is here!  For me, I used a variety of carriers all the time for the first 6 months and after that it decreased. 

In the very beginning, a stretchy wrap like the Moby is ideal.  I would wear baby in the moby while he was napping (to prevent flat head and to bond with him), to settle him when he was crying, while doing housework, and to the grocery store.

At about 3 months I got a beco (similar to the ergo) and used that when I was at the grocery store.  I really really like my beco, it's so comfortable (UNLIKE the baby bjorn, which is so painful!)

At around 6 or 7 months I started using my ring sling because I could do the hip hold and now that is the only carrier I use when I'm out and about.  Otherwise, he can crawl around or sit in the shopping cart.  

• Loading the player...
  • I used my fake Moby occasionally but it's a little small for me... and DD is so big and heavy she objects to how tightly she gets held in it.

We use the Ergo for going to the store. It works great, she passes out asleep and loves it. 

I'm hoping to get a woven wrap, too. 

imageimage

• When DS was a newborn, I wore him in the Bjorn or Moby at home a good bit of the day. It was the only way I could get anything done -- folding laundry, vacuuming, etc. He wasn't a great napper, so this was often the only way to get him to sleep.

Once he got a little older, I primarily use it for running errands. He wasn't a huge fan of staying in the carseat for long, so it made grocery shopping SO much easier.

Now that he's old enough to sit in the cart, I usually have the Ergo in the car as a backup for the days he's fussy and clingy. I can generally stay out longer if I'm wearing him than if he's riding in the stroller. It's also great for travel -- I've worn him all over airports and such in the Ergo.

IMO, there really isn't ONE carrier that's great for the newborn stage and older babies. Something snuggly like the Moby is awesome for the first 4-5 months, but not past that point -- it gets too saggy and unsupportive. I switched to the Ergo at 5.5 months and LOVE it. But it's not great for newborns, even with the available insert.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"