Attachment Parenting
Options

Responding immediately when they wake up if they DON'T fuss?

I have always responded immediately to DS when he cries or fusses by picking him up, and of course when he wakes up crying I take him right out of the crib.  But lately he wakes up after a long nap and just plays in his crib and I don't know whether I should get him out or wait until he gets bored and makes noise.  He loves his crib and I want him to continue to have a positive association with it but I don't want to interrupt his play if he's having fun, WWYD?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Responding immediately when they wake up if they DON'T fuss?

• Options
    If he seemed content and wasnt upset I would just leave him. It is nice for him to have a bit of independent play. Once he got upset, I would go get him though. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My DD recently likes to wake up and play with her feet, so I let her be, but I do try to get her just  before she gets fussy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If DD is just awake in her bassinet & moving around a little & making little happy noises I leave her.  She usually falls back asleep.  If it's a cry or fussing or something that indicates she needs me then I get her right away.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    I let her play until she lets me know she wants out.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    I wait until she starts "yelling".  It's like her pre-cry, if we wait much longer than that she gets worked up.  But I like listening to her happy morning babble, I let her entertain herself for awhile :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I think that alone time (if happy and content) is very important for development - independence, problem solving, creativity, analytical skills, etc.  My almost 2 year old has played happily in her crib for over a year now.  It varies on how much time I give her - but there are times when she is with her babies and blankets and having a hi ho time, that i leave her for close to an hour.  I have also gone in before and had her tell me "no mommy" and look completely bummed that I interrupted whatever she was doing that in her mind was totally awesome and very important.  
  • Options
    I totally let her be if she's content and happily playing. It does them good to have some time to themselves to learn how to play independently and keep themselves occupied.
  • Options

imagesusanmosley:
    I think that alone time (if happy and content) is very important for development - independence, problem solving, creativity, analytical skills, etc.  My almost 2 year old has played happily in her crib for over a year now.  It varies on how much time I give her - but there are times when she is with her babies and blankets and having a hi ho time, that i leave her for close to an hour.  I have also gone in before and had her tell me "no mommy" and look completely bummed that I interrupted whatever she was doing that in her mind was totally awesome and very important.  

Wow, an hour in her crib???  DS has lots of toys in his crib but I don't see him spending anywhere close to an hour playing, I think the longest was 10 minutes!  How many and what kind of toys does your daughter have in her crib?

• Options
    Right now she has 4 dolls and a couple small blankets and her sea horse - yes, ridiculous.  And she organizes, covers up, and talks to her babies forever - up to 45 minutes to an hour before (if) she takes a nap and often 30 minutes when she wakes up in the morning.
  • Options
    my son is 7mo and has been waking up and playing pee-a-boo w/ his blankie. so cute, I watch him on the moniter and when he starts to get loud I go in. I found it's a good habit to spend positive wakeful time in the crib, sometimes he doesn't want to go right back to sleep after a pm feeding but is content to lay there and talk to himself.
  • Options
    I let him play and chatter to himself if he wants to afterwards.
  • Options

I always go and get him within 1-2 minutes of him sounding fully awake. And usually he is pretty hungry in the mornings, so we get straight to breakfast.

DS loves playing in his crib, however, and usually around 9 am or so he will sit in his crib with some books and a toy, and play by himself while I take a shower and get ready for the day. So he still gets his independent play time, but just not right when he is waking up.

• Options

imagesusanmosley:
    Right now she has 4 dolls and a couple small blankets and her sea horse - yes, ridiculous.  And she organizes, covers up, and talks to her babies forever - up to 45 minutes to an hour before (if) she takes a nap and often 30 minutes when she wakes up in the morning.

That's not ridiculous at all, I have more stuff in DS's crib!  (My Pal Scout, Sophie the Giraffe, stuffed Elmo, book, 2 rattles, a blanket and 5 pacifiers)  And it's cute that your DD talks to her crib friends!  DS just likes to shake them, smack them against the crib and throw them out of his crib, maybe it's a boy thing Wink  Regardless, I'm wondering if babies who have more crib toys spend more quiet time playing in their cribs!  (might be a good topic for a clicky poll)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"