Detroit Babies
Options

Classes at the hospital

My Dr suggest that we look into birthing and such classes.  She only recommends we take the infant CPR class, since it is the most useful, and she suggested we take a tour or the L&D floor, so we know what to expect.

DH and I are still trying to figure out if we should do the 6 week birthing class and the BF class (I plan pumping, not BF).  the classes are through Troy Beaumont.

Did you take any classes and do you think they were worth it?

(a little background, I lived with my aunt for the first year of her sons life, while her husband served in Iraq, so I know how to give a bath, feed, burp, change, handle ER trips, etc.  I got the impression that these classes teach you how to take care of a child.  I could be wrong though)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Classes at the hospital

• Options
    We signed up for that class. We went to the first one and then dropped out. They weren't telling me anything that I hadn't already in my books. The most helpful thing she told us was where to enter the hospital when in labor, and we could have learned that at the hospital tour. Everyone is different, but it was a waste of my time to go to a class and watch birthing videos and pass around epidural needles, 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I took a birthing class, the only thing I enjoyed seeing was the L&D rooms (the tour was part of the class).  Honestly, the things that we went over (breathing, etc) went out the window when I was laboring.

I did not take a bf class, there are lactation consultants that will come to your room and help you and all the nurses can help you as well.  I didn't have a problem bf my son.  I switched to EP when he was about 2 weeks old and had no issues.  I would suggest utilizing the LC.  I found her to be very helpful, plus it's 1:1 attention as opposed to a class.  That's just my personal opinion and experience though.

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would suggest only taking the Infant CPR class as well.  We took the labor/delivery classes and I can honestly say that none of it came in handy.  I learned nothing extraordinary that I didn't already know from watching Baby Story and doing general reading through books/the internet.  I was bummed that we spent the $98 or whatever it was on that class.

We also took the breastfeeding class, and like Sheila said... the lactation consultants at the hospital taught me more in a a short bit than the whole class did.  I wouldn't waste time on this class either, especially if you're pumping.  That approach is pretty straight-forward.

I would definitely sign up for a tour of the hospital though.  It's exciting and information all at the same time.

Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• Options
    imageRitzy19:

I would suggest only taking the Infant CPR class as well.  We took the labor/delivery classes and I can honestly say that none of it came in handy.  I learned nothing extraordinary that I didn't already know from watching Baby Story and doing general reading through books/the internet.  I was bummed that we spent the $98 or whatever it was on that class.

We also took the breastfeeding class, and like Sheila said... the lactation consultants at the hospital taught me more in a a short bit than the whole class did.  I wouldn't waste time on this class either, especially if you're pumping.  That approach is pretty straight-forward.

I would definitely sign up for a tour of the hospital though.  It's exciting and information all at the same time.

Good luck!

This!  If you are planning to EP, then I wouldn't bother with the BF class.  Actually I didn't find the BF class very helpful and I wasn't planning to EP.  Most of my questions were about pumping and we barely talked about that at all- whenever we asked about it, the teacher just said to ask your LC.  Anyway, nothing I learned in the class prepared me for what BF'ing is actually like (and how incredibly hard it is!).

I think a CPR class is a great idea though, and wish we would have taken one.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"