High-Risk Pregnancy

Anyone on bedrest and have a little one at home?

I have 2 little kids at home (plus a teen) and I am currently in the hospital with preterm labor.  I should be sent home today - but on full strict bedrest - laying down!

Anyone have little ones at home and on bedrest?  Any tips or advice?

Re: Anyone on bedrest and have a little one at home?

• There are some recent posts related to this topic (within the last 2-3 days). See if you can scroll through & find them---they had some good advice.
  • I spent 3 weeks on hospital bedrest with an almost 3 year old at home.  Even before I ended up in the hospital, I was on modified rest at home.  It is definitely hard and they don't really understand.  What worked was telling him I had a boo-boo in my tummy and the doctor told me to stay in bed.  Then we read a lot of books, played some quiet games, etc. 

I knew I was going to have my daughter around 36 weeks, so we took a calendar and had my son cross off each day on the calendar.  He could see us getting closer to the 36 week mark so he knew mommy would be coming home soon.  That really helped calm him down so he knew the bed rest wasn't forever. I won't lie though- as good as my son was about it, he was still 3 and always wanted to climb on me for hugging or playing. 

Just do the best you can.  I kept telling myself that he was too young to remember it.  I've been home and off bed rest for about 5 weeks old now and there are no lasting scars to my son.  If anything, he appreciates me more.  It also made him spend more time with my dh and he likes doing stuff with my dh (which he never wanted to do before).   I'm sure your kids will be the same!

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Loading the player...
  • I just started bedrest on Thursday until I deliver for high BP's. My doctor just said to get up to use the bathroom and shower. She also knows I have an almost 4yr old. She didn't say anything about lying down, so I have been sitting up mostly in the bed, but also on the couch, and in the kitchen chair if DH is cooking. I do have to get up and take care of her needs, but I just do what I can. My husband is a nurse/medical student, so he has been checking my BP, and it's been much better! So, I figure I am doing ok.

Here is what we have been doing so far:

Read books, color, play with toys in bed, preschool work books and learning videos and we have watched Milo and Otis about 5 times! ;) I also had my parents over all weekend, so that helped a TON. I plan on inviting friends over to visit, and let their kids play with Abigail to keep her from getting too stir crazy.

There are times when I think,wow, another 7 weeks of this? I'm only on day 4!! Certainly others have it much harder than I do, so I try to be thankful for the following:

1) I am at home, and not in the hospital

2) I haven't been told I have to stay lying down

3) My husband has been WONDERFUL in doing everything I do, plus medical school.

4) This is the best thing for the baby!

5) I am well rested! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"