Special Needs

If your LO wears AFO braces

Was it a big adjustment to get used to? I just had my DD measured. I have to pay $2000 out of pocket (FU insurance) and I have the feeling she wont want to wear them. She screamed just for the measurement part! I'm hoping she'll get used to it. How did it go for u? Also, does anyone have pix of theirs? I cant imagine exactly what they look like! Thanks

Re: If your LO wears AFO braces

• My DD wears SureSteps, which are similar to AFOs but lighter and more flexible.  She has adjusted pretty easily and only now and then does she fuss when we put them on her.  She really wasn't happy with the measuring though - some strange person messing with her feet was NOT ok with her!  So maybe your DD will do better with wearing them than getting measured.  :)

I don't have any pics of ours handy, but the website is www.surestep.net

(and sorry about insurance, we almost got stuck with the full bill for ours too and man was I PO'ed!  maybe try calling your insurance and seeing if there's anything they can do?  it turned out the paperwork for ours had been filed incorrectly, so once everything was fixed we were OK)

• We had Matthew fitted in June.  Just to let you know, there is a state law saying that insurances in NJ MUST pay 100% of the expenses for orthotics.  We were denied but appealed and won.
  • Loading the player...
  • NJLHNJLH member
    Is that right about the insurance? I'll have to look into that!
  • Yea, we went through NAMCO out of New Brunswick and they called to check on benefits.  Let me see if I can look up the law for you.
  • Both of my DD's have AFO's and they both are completely fine wearing them now.  I think it only took a few days of wearing them for them to get used to it.  

Here is a pic of my DD in hers (she has her socks pulled down over the top)

And here is one of her w/ some shoes on over it.

They help so much I really don't mind putting them on each day, it's only finding a shoe to go over it that stinks, and you don't even have to do that.  I just find it is cuter that way ;) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Both of my DD's have AFO's and they both are completely fine wearing them now.  I think it only took a few days of wearing them for them to get used to it.  

They help so much I really don't mind putting them on each day, it's only finding a shoe to go over it that stinks, and you don't even have to do that.  I just find it is cuter that way ;) 

• NJLHNJLH member
    Awwww....she looks darn cute in them
  • imageNJLH:
    Awwww....she looks darn cute in them

Thanks!!  And sorry about the double post.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"