South Florida Babies
Options

sharing my 3rd c-section experience...

since I don't have a suspense , emotional tpe of birth story, I thought I'd share with you all my experience with my third c-section. That was so different from all the other ones.

First of all. nothing hit me until the anesthesiologist (sp?), came to make me sign the papers. That is when I all of sudden remembered the pain I was in after my c-section and I was very close to running away and telling them, that I had decided to not have a c-section (yeah right). I was terrified!

We got into the OR and I got a bit more nervous but for some reason, the room seemed more warm and cozy this time around and it helped me calm down my nerves.

I get all set up to get my spinal (which shoudl take a few minutes) and after 20 minutes, and 5 broken needles later (yes, broken! everytime he tried putting them in my back, they would break!), I finally got my spinal. they laid my down and starting pinching me to see if I could feel anything... I could feel EVERYTHING! I started to panic! THey kept saying "are  you sure you can feel?" and I kept saying "yes!yes!yes!"... and they kept asking me over and over again as if I were an idiot-lol.

So they sat me back up to give me yet another spinal. They had a hard time again, and that is when the dr told me that I would have to be put under if their last attempt did not work. I started hyper ventilating at that point. I was going to miss the birth of my son??? I could not stop crying, it was horrible.

A new nurse walked in at that point and came to try to calm me down, I looked down at her scrubs and she had a small roseary (sp?) attached to her scrubs. I thought of it as a sign, and prayed harder and stronger than I had ever prayed before... a few seconds later, my legs went completly numb and I knew the spinal had got in and was working properly this time.

6 minutes later, I heard the most beautiful sound ever... Christian was born! I knew right away when I saw him that he was my smallest baby. (he was by almost a whole pound!).

They opened me up at 7:17pm, Christian was born 2 minutes later at 7:19pm and I was done and all stiched up by 7:30pm...13 minutes TOTAL!!

I had the most amazing recovery ever, no pain meds needed nothing. I felt terrific.

3 weeks later however, I started experiencing horrific abdominal pains. I mean worse than after my c-section. My doctors kept brushing it off as "normal pains" but I knew something was wrong and requested a CAT scan. Turns out my insides are very swollen and they put me on antibiotics.

Christian is an amzing baby. The boys adore him although Nate does have some jealousy issues. Life with three is exhausting but so rewarding so far,

Sorry I am a horrible writer, but I thought I would share with you all!

Virginia

Re: sharing my 3rd c-section experience...

• Options
    thank you for sharing your experience, especially for those of us (like me) who are going for yet another c-section birth. congrats again!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats on the little guy. Your boys are so handsome!
    DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, that must have been scary seeing that the spinal wasn't taking effect and then to top it off with the complication you had afterward. I'm glad that in the end everything turned out well and you have a beautiful healthy baby boy! :)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

Wow, thanks for sharing.  One of my fears of having a c-section now is what the future may hold with other c-sections.  I've heard that recovery from each subsequent surgery is worse and worse... guess not.

Question - you mentioned that each attempt to the spinal, the needle broke.  Did that hurt?!  Sounds terrifying!  I hate needles, and I know that DH can't be in the room w/ you during that, so I'm petrified, and am even considering going natural (nuts I know)!

Glad everyone is adjusting to so well to Christian!

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagecocojack10:

Wow, thanks for sharing.  One of my fears of having a c-section now is what the future may hold with other c-sections.  I've heard that recovery from each subsequent surgery is worse and worse... guess not.

Question - you mentioned that each attempt to the spinal, the needle broke.  Did that hurt?!  Sounds terrifying!  I hate needles, and I know that DH can't be in the room w/ you during that, so I'm petrified, and am even considering going natural (nuts I know)!

Everyone's recovery is different and thank goodness Virginia had a good one!! :) It is true that the more c-sections you have, the chances of having a harder recovery is higher. In fact, a friend of mine had her 2nd baby (2nd c-section) 10 days ago. She had a rough/painful pregnancy because of the scarring from her 1st c-section. Her doctor told her that a 3rd baby is doable but a 4th pregnancy is very doubtful and risky from all the scarring from multiple c-sections.

If you can go natural, go you!! :) But to be honest, those contractions make you forget about the needles. lol 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    imageAlbah:
    imagecocojack10:

I can definately say that subsequent pregnancies do hurt because of the pulling and streching of the scaring.

As far as more pregnancies, I guess it really depends on the drs. My drs did not recommend against. Actually after our first appt post c-section the dr told Eric : " see you in two years for the next baby!". and I have TONS of scaring.

The needles breaking, I didn't feel a thing!

Everyone's recovery is different and thank goodness Virginia had a good one!! :) It is true that the more c-sections you have, the chances of having a harder recovery is higher. In fact, a friend of mine had her 2nd baby (2nd c-section) 10 days ago. She had a rough/painful pregnancy because of the scarring from her 1st c-section. Her doctor told her that a 3rd baby is doable but a 4th pregnancy is very doubtful and risky from all the scarring from multiple c-sections.

If you can go natural, go you!! :) But to be honest, those contractions make you forget about the needles. lol 

• Options
    Thank you for sharing...and good thing you listened to your instinct...hope you feel better soon Smile
    ~~Givette~~ Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    congrats again!  hope you feel better soon!

Photo courtesy of www.yaporiginals.com
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    It's Beshert
  • Options

Congrats!

Sorry they got you off to a rough start.  Hope your recovery goes smoothly.  Enjoy your new little one!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have been having excruciating stabbing pains in my pelvis since this c-section also. I am going to call my Dr. My stomach is still very puffy and I haven't lost a lb after the initial baby and fluid weight loss, which I think is weird because I don't get a chance to eat until dinner time and I am on my feet all day. I think maybe the same thing happened to me that happened to you. Thanks for posting that part.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your story!  The spinal tap sounds scary, but you have three beautiful boys!!!  I hope that the swelling goes down soon!
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your story! Your boys are beautiful; you are very lucky V!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"