D.C. Area Babies
Options

Choose my daycare for me

Or at least give me some opinions. I still have a month before going back to work full time, but I've found two places and I'm really torn. The time stamp on my post is accurate - this is literally keeping me up at night. Both are in-home places run by older women and no aids. They have the same number of kids (two older toddlers and C would make for two "infants"). They pretty much cost the same and they would both use our cds. Both are adored by the families that use them, as far as I can tell.

Option 1

Pros: Part-time, so M/FIL could still watch C twice a week (they really enjoy it). The DCP is really warm, down on the floor with the kids. A ton of toys, both obnoxious electronic kind and old school learning kind. Really nice backyard with a ton of play equipment.  Has a "preschool" element with circle time, colors, sharing, etc. DCP seems really flexible.

Cons: DH thinks I'm being a little crazy, but the first thing I thought of when I got there was that I could smell a litter box. Security seemed kind of lacking - parents just walked in the front door during pick up. The kids nap on different levels of the house, so one level goes unsupervised at some point. It wasn't super clean. The part time schedule could be kind of disruptive/inconsistent.

Option 2:

Pros: In our neighborhood. Very clean. Very safe (lots of locks on gates, doors, cabinets, etc.)

Cons:Not a whole lot of toys. There was General Hospital on a giant tv when I got there (only one kid was up from naptime, though). Didn't have much of a learning element. Not a whole lot of toys out and DCP doesn't seem like the type to get down and play. 

So, thoughts? At this age is the "learning" element that big a deal, or am I overthinking this?  What about the inconsistency of a PT schedule? To add even more considerations in to the mix, DH and I are always talking about moving and we could very well move next summer and have to start the search all over again.

Anyway, if you've made it this far Thank You! You deserve a clicky poll:

[Poll]
The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Choose my daycare for me

• Options

Before I vote - the potentially disruptive part time schedule with option 1 - is that her choice or your choice?  That is to say - do you want to have part time daycare and have your family watch kiddo twice a week?  Or is it that the DCP can only offer a PT slot?

And with the second option, is there a PT option (if that's what you want...)? 

And, define "wasn't super clean" for option one...

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options
    I say keep looking! Trust me when I say when you find the "one" you'll know. There will not be any doubts in your mind. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    image7*7*7bride:
    I say keep looking! Trust me when I say when you find the "one" you'll know. There will not be any doubts in your mind. Good luck!
    You know, this is a good point. I'm trying to think of what reservations I had with our current DCP (DD #1 went there and now DD #2 does, and baby #3 will go there...) and I can't think of any. Not that we haven't had some bumps in the road along the way with her (like disagreeing on potty training age, and the fact that she tends to take days off without a lot of notice - but we've worked through those) but I think starting out I "knew" - and continue to believe - that she is "the one." Are there other options?
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options

That's a tough choice. I chose #1 due to the learning environment element. Even though my DD is young, I think she gets a lot out of the activities they do at daycare like coloring, reading, singing, etc.

Does MIL/FIL watch him now on a regular basis? My only fear would be whether that's a reliable option. My MIL/FIL suggested watching DD when I went back to work as an option. I am so glad we didn't go that route. They routinely have doctor's appointments and things they need to do. They've gotten sick a few times too. FIL had to have his gall bladder removed. MIL had a cold for about a month that was tough for her to get over. They travel quite a bit also. While I know they adore her, I think it's a bit too much work for them to be able to handle it on a regular basis. They are in their late 60's so they may be a little older than your in-laws. Plus, because they don't watch her regularily, they are really willing to babysit anytime we ask which is a nice perk for DH and I so that we can go out on dates. Also, they occasionally watch her if she's home sick from daycare or if daycare is closed. If they had her a few days a week, I might feel like it's asking too much for them to also babysit her for our dates and watch her when she can't go to daycare due to sickness. So, with the MIL/FIL option I would just encourage you to evaluate the potential issues in terms of deciding whether you want FT or PT.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    vtkendra brings up very good points - all of that is ditto for me.  My mom offered to watch DD #1 when she was an infant, to help save us some money on daycare, and like vtkendra, I'm glad I didn't go that route.  My mom is 67 and my dad is 75 and they have dr. appts and go on trips, etc.  I like to think of them enjoying their retirement, and save them for the occasional babysitting.  It's great to have them as back up daycare too - for when the kids are too sick for daycare, or when the preschool is closed, or when DCP goes on vacation - so they definitely still help out quite a bit.  There are plenty of opps for them to watch the kids without having to commit on a weekly basis.
  • Options

I chose Option 2, but it was hard.

There just seemed to be things about #1 that would put me off.  The unclean part, the "stinky house" part, the "kids on different levels" part, the "inconsistency" part...

IMO, kids don't need a zillion toys.  They need toys, and mental stimulation... but, it doesn't necessarily have to be in your face.  The other day, J entertained herself for like 30 minutes by stacking blueberries on top of one another while eating a snack. (I couldn't believe she was actually getting them to balance three high... LOL) 

I would go back and ask #2 what she does with the kids in terms of activities - singing, coloring, etc.  I'd also ask to talk to the other parents, or, maybe go back for another visit when the other kids are up?   How C interacts with the other kids may also help you to make your decision? 

Our DCP has had the older 2 kids (age 4'ish?) since they were babies...  when we visited, they were both really well behaved - weren't running around like little crazy kids, were really gentle with J (she was itty bitty at the time) and said hello and goodbye when we left.

I remember being really concerned about the "learning" part when we chose our DCP.  Now, at 20 months, she can count to 10, say hi & bye, and sing like 4 or 5 different songs.   So, I'm happy. 

If I were you, I don't think I'd go back and start from scratch... but, I would probably see if you can visit once more with C.  In your second visit, things might become glaringly obvious as to which one you should pick. 

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks, you all make good points. To answer a few questions:

- With Option 1, p/t is all she has available (she has another infant Tu & Th). 

-DH thinks I'm being overly picky about the cleanliness aspect. It was cluttered and the house is small, but honestly it was probably just as clean (if not cleaner) than our house.

-M/FIL watch C while I work now. I have no qualms about that aspect. They are pretty terrific, they just can't commit to watching him full time (because of said dr's appts, etc.) and I wouldn't want to ask that of them. 

-C has visited both places. He got along very well with the other kids at both. DCP at Option 1 was definitely more engaging.

I've interviewed four places and called more. I'm just starting to wonder if the "perfect" place really exists, at least in my area . . .

• Options

image7*7*7bride:

I agree completely. Somebody once compared it to wedding dress shopping, I'm not sure if it was on this board or not, but I do feel like it can be like that. Lots of them have things you like and a few cons, but one will be the "one!"

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageeeclem:

Thanks, you all make good points. To answer a few questions:

- With Option 1, p/t is all she has available (she has another infant Tu & Th). 

-DH thinks I'm being overly picky about the cleanliness aspect. It was cluttered and the house is small, but honestly it was probably just as clean (if not cleaner) than our house.

-M/FIL watch C while I work now. I have no qualms about that aspect. They are pretty terrific, they just can't commit to watching him full time (because of said dr's appts, etc.) and I wouldn't want to ask that of them. 

-C has visited both places. He got along very well with the other kids at both. DCP at Option 1 was definitely more engaging.

I've interviewed four places and called more. I'm just starting to wonder if the "perfect" place really exists, at least in my area . . .

It sounds like you both like #1 more...

And, as a bonus, C would get to see g-ma&g-pa more often... 

• Options
    imageeeclem:

I'm just starting to wonder if the "perfect" place really exists, at least in my area . . .

OK, knowing all of this, and If this is the case you are very, very lucky and sounds like you can save serious $$ by only having to pay for part time daycare.  To me, that is the "perfect" situation.  Smile

I'm leaning way towards Option 1.

Re: the messiness of the house, I don't know because everyone has a different standard of cluttered, but think about the fact that the lady cares for four kids every day.  I'd say if the place doesn't look like a hurricane hit it, she's doing pretty well.  Now, dirt or filth of some kind would be different - but cluttered, I'd say that's pretty typical.

And as for "security" - we walk right in the front door of our DCP's house.  She has the door unlocked certain times, basically during pick up and drop off times.  Our lady has an assistant, so that's one more eye on the kids, but if this DCP is by herself and doesn't have help, (totally guessing here) she's leaving the door unlocked during pick up and drop off because she can't always stop what she's doing to go unlock the door every time someone shows up.

• Options
    I would go with # 1 as well. Clicking with the provider, saving $, and time with grandparents sounds like a good option.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageeeclem:

... They pretty much cost the same ...

When you say they cost the same... do you mean, total?  Or on a per hour basis?

Because, like arslver and dc2low, at first I thought she'd be cheaper - but, after reading again, it seems like they're the same.... 

• Options
    imageArtslvr:

And as for "security" - we walk right in the front door of our DCP's house.  She has the door unlocked certain times, basically during pick up and drop off times.  Our lady has an assistant, so that's one more eye on the kids, but if this DCP is by herself and doesn't have help, (totally guessing here) she's leaving the door unlocked during pick up and drop off because she can't always stop what she's doing to go unlock the door every time someone shows up.

Thanks for mentioning this - this was one of those things that I didn't know if it was common or not. 

And crazy - yeah, there's only a $10 per week difference between them. Cost isn't really an issue.

• Options
    I voted for 'keep looking.'  Between the two above, I'd go with Option 1.  Option 2 would be a no-go for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"